News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

All These Damned Fly Patterns - Now What?

Started by Wildfisher, March 27, 2006, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Bandy John and I are going to Park on Thursday, first outing of the new season (must get a fish out of there this season before Liddle  :D  ).  

I have just started sorting out my flies in eager anticipation.

Before me lie  7 boxes of wets, plus one wallet stuffed with assorted flies. To my right and left there a  few plastic tubs with  all the flies I have tied up over the winter, plus all the swap flies. Hundreds of the damn things.  :shock:

Where do you  start? Why do I have so many flies?  What the hell am I doing?  :?

I never use  fraction of these, but like most fly fishers I feel I must have them. I suppose  when things are quiet it gives me something to do, sitting in the boat or on the bank admiring them.   :roll:

Honestly, how many patterns do we really need?

Come on guys, help me out  here. How many flies should I carry and which patterns?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan LiddleBy the way there's two day 'till Thursday and i'm due a day off :lol:
Maybe i'll leave a few for you Fred :wink:  

The  b@*!t!?s have put the price up again this year.  :evil:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan LiddleWhat's it now Fred?

If you are in a boat  yourself, ?16, Two in a boat ?13 each. Not sure about 3, but I guess it could be ?39  (3 x 13)– which is far too much. Even with two, considering  it's sessions there, ?26 seems a bit steep compared to the Scottish average. A lot dearer than na bo for a start. Guess this will be my only  trip there this season, park is just not worth that much. Not sure about float tubing prices,

Wildfisher

Well, this problem seems to have partially solved itself.

Here's a tip : if you use a fly wallet, don't leave the damned flies in it over the winter

Looks like they need a bit more air circulation than they were gettin' in there!

All  my deer hair winged flied in that wallet are now in the bin, along  with a load of other made from fur and feather..

Ah well! I guess should be smiling. I can now re-fill the wallet with loads of new stuff that I will never use either!  :lol:

drumgerry

Aye there's a good forecast for Thursday - but a good forecast for Wednesday as well.:wink:  :wink:   And that float tube of mine needs a wetting.  I think the fish are probably safe though if I'm the first to wet a line on Park - I'll be too worried about avoiding the old drownin'.  But I confess I am sort of half planning a trip to Park on Wednesday on my tod if no-one else is around??  Might give them a phone tomorrow though to get the lowdown on tubing there - any advice on where to launch the tube from and where I can beach the bugger if I need a slash later in the day!! :lol:  :lol: Is it a problem beaching the tube further up the loch??  Are there any breaks in the weed??

Cheers

Gerry

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg
Quote from: uncleboo
QuoteHonestly, how many patterns do we really need?
Peter Ross
QuoteJust think back to what you've used the most
Peter Ross
Quoteyou find that the killing pattern that you are using has been ripped apart by your 4th 2lber of the day
Peter Ross
QuoteAh well! I guess should be smiling
You've tyed up some Peter Ross'?

Fred, something has to be done about the uncouth language being used on the forum. :lol:

Ardbeg

That reminds me, I have to add Peter Ross to the censored  words list…………….

drumgerry

Right I've spoken to the guy at Loch Park - he was going to charge me the full rate for float tube fishing ie ?15!  But I pointed out that it's usually the case that float tubing or bank fishing costs a bit less as the boats are not being used.  He agreed with the logic of that and suggested ?10 as the float tubing charge.  Thought I'd post this as if any of you phone don't get fobbed off with being charged the full whack for float tubing.  Some of you might already have negotiated your own charge though!!  :wink:  :wink:

Cheers

Gerry

drumgerry

Sorry guys I've got something I can't get out of on Thursday otherwise it would have been great to have met youse.  But never mind - if tomorrow goes ok I'm hoping to make Park a regular venue and I'm sure we can all arrange something to suit.

Thanks for the tips Allan - I've been to Park just the once to check it out a couple of months ago and I thought the jetty or just beside it would be the most likely places to launch the "Jim'll Fix It" chair :lol:  :lol:   If the pee gets the better o' me though I might have to get out for a stop at that place across from the island.  Am I likely to be able to paddle back up the loch to get out by the jetty again when proceedings have finished?

Must confess I'm a bit nervous but excited as well.  I have all the gear thankfully but hopefully there's some of it I won't be needing :wink:  :wink:

Am hoping to get a couple of piccys taken of me a-tube when I launch and I'll post them here.

BTW - I did get the feeling the guy was chancing his arm on the permit charge thing - he asked me if I'd ever float tubed there before and when I said I hadn't he proposed the ?15 charge.  Luckily I have all you lot on the forum to keep me right!! :lol:  :lol:

Cheers

Gerry

drumgerry

Right guys - the disastrous tale of my first float tube at Loch Park can be found in the float tube section!   :oops:  :oops:

Cheers

Gerry

Go To Front Page