News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Idris

Started by Gander, April 24, 2006, 04:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gander

I am going to break a little rule that I have by publicising a new fly that I have not even tried yet.

I came up with this just before the season started, and to me the fly just screams fish. You know how you come up with patterns sometimes, and you just think to yourself, "Yeah, that might work" or "That will be worth a go". This is not one of those patterns. This one just has the right "feel" about it. Not very scientific I know, but I've never met a trout that could spell scientific.

The pattern is as follows:-

Thread - Black UTC 140
Tail - GP Tippets dyed Hot Orange
Body - Uni dual sided tinsel Orange/Peacock (Orange side up)
Rib - Hot Orange UTC wire (Fine)
Body hackle - Fiery Brown Cock hackle
Head Hackle - Grouse.

As you can see, with the rib and the orange tinsel body, there was the danger of making the fly a bit too bright and flashy. More Rainbow than Brown, if you know what I mean. That is why I have gone with a Fiery brown hackle and a darkish head hackle in the Grouse. The hackles dampen down the orange flash. What you end up with is a fly that glows from its heart rather than flashes.

Extended trials are due to start this week, but if it appeals to you, help yourself, and let me know how you get on.

Any comments/critisms of the fly are also welcomed.

The name of the fly is the "Idris". Idris is the welsh name that means fiery lord. I've also tied a red tag version using Glo-brite number 4. Really looks the business as well.

I may well end up with egg on my face, but I've still got that feeling.  :D

Go To Front Page