News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Duck's Dun

Started by Havtafish, April 30, 2006, 02:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havtafish

This is from John Roberts book. For me this is a cracking fly. My goto fly for river fishing. Have caught a load of trout and grayling on it. Its really good in fast water but works on glides as well. Hackle trimmed underneath to sit nice. Tied in sizes 12 to 22. I usually gink wing and hackle with a TINY amount after having rubbed it into my fingers.

badger

Aye, that's a really good fly. Personally I tend to use the same idea but without the hackle, and usually without the tail. Then the fly is basically Marjan Fratnik's F-fly. Sometimes I wind a pronounced thorax of hare's mask over the butts of the wing as well. I guess you could argue that the lower the fly sits, the better, which is what's good about the F-fly. Although perhaps for the streamier water the Duck's has advantages..

Havtafish

I like a tail to imitate a shuck. I found grayling can key on this and pass up duns without one. As for the hackle I like the footprint which it leaves looking at it from the underside. Plus I think it helps the fly land upright most of the time. I use light, med, chocolate dun as well as grizzle and red game. Body colour to suit. My favorite is olive dun haretron.

haresear

Havtafish,

What hackle is used on the one in the photo? It looks webby rather than a genetic cock.

Do you use webby hackles in preference to stiff hacles for this pattern?

I suppose a stiff hackle would do as well if clipped below...?
Protect the edge.

Havtafish

Its from Whiting Grade 2 Light Dun Cape Alex. Brought a tonne over with me as you just about have to sell your firstborn to buy it here :shock:  :wink:  I think it looks soft because the hackle isnt that heavy and just about using the dregs off that one noo. The pattern calls for melted(hot paper clip) but I just clip.

haresear

Thanks, Havtafish. I'll give it a go. I like the F fly, but as you say, you get the footprint with the DD.
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page