News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Uv cure resin

Started by Lochan_load, October 21, 2016, 01:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

I'm looking to get some bug bond type resin for fly tying, i tend to varnish butts and tinsel bodies but it's time consuming to let it dry hard enough not to smudge or be tacky for tying the rest of the fly. This should save me loads of time. I'm basically looking for a heads up on what's good value, obviously want something that works well but also want to get as cheap as possible, any views from anyone with experience of this would be greatly appreciated. I would need to buy the torch as well as the resin

Cheers

Andy

corsican dave

hi Andy,

I got hold of some called "the bug that bonds" from amazon. about £12 complete with a small torch. worked a treat. I can't see it there anymore, but this looks very similar
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WDGOHEO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_11?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JJWY5PS6G8KK9KPQYTSN

the little torches soon frazzle the batteries, but some rechargeables solved that one.

for the life of me I can't see what advantage the expensive (£30+) kits give you?

i'm sure you know that you shouldn't look directly at the torch, but be aware that the reflection from the curing resin can give you a nasty headache too, so look away whilst you're doing it!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

Quick squizz on eBay and saw this bug that bonds, is this the kit you bought dave?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381529895867

Lochan_load

Might take a punt on this, opinions? Can't go wrong at a tenner delivered surely!

30ML CRYSTAL REPAIR UV RESIN, GLUE FOR REPAIRING GLASS, METAL, FURNITURE, WATCH, MULTI PURPOSE + 9 LED TORCH  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D3JK8II/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_udp_api_XYGcybEX2C1RH

bibio1

I got the bug off some years ago. It's good and way cheaper than bug bond

rannoch raider

I've only ever used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails for covering wet fly bodies, buzzers etc. It's top class and always gives a clear and hardwearing finish. If you are going to use a UV cure resin like Bug Bond you will find that it comes in a standard and light form. The light has far more viscosity than the standard and would probably be better for sealing tags etc.
You might find that Bug Bond wont dry as clear as a varnish and doesn't like being handled until it is completely cured. I find it can cloud over on the surface if it's handled too soon after initial application of the torch light. It also adds a wee bit more volume to bodies that would take a few coats to create with varnish. Pros and cons there I suppose. I keep Bug Bond for heads and bodies on bigger lures.
It would be interesting to hear how it works for you Andy.

JimJams

Quote from: bibio1 on October 21, 2016, 03:41:22 PM
I got the bug off some years ago. It's good and way cheaper than bug bond

With you on this one, always used it with no issues, except the night I got tipsy and dropped it on the floor, carpets not been right since! Cheap off eBay too!

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on October 21, 2016, 02:40:19 PM
Quick squizz on eBay and saw this bug that bonds, is this the kit you bought dave?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381529895867

aye, that's the one. don't know why it didn't show on my search, but that's the one. and yep, it cures clear.
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Lochan_load

I'm gong to order the cheapo one up there at a tenner, chances are it's a Chinese number, if it's good happy days and I'll feedback, if not it's only a tenner!

shad

I like the bug that bonds stuff, have had a few uv torches and find the  laser pen ones the best .

Go To Front Page