News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Uv cure resin

Started by Lochan_load, October 21, 2016, 01:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Just a wee revisit to say I got the cheap resin I posted the link to above, 30 ml of the resin and a torch for under a tenner delivered. Came within a couple of days. The resin appeared slightly cloudy when I first looked at it on the little brush but it drys clear. I have no point of reference but it seems pretty good. The torch that came with it doesn't seem particularly powerful so I've ordered a laser pen version as recommended above, I'm hoping this will speed up the drying as I've noticed if you work straight away you can smudge the nice shiny finish e.g. If you try and put a hackle straight on after sealing a tinsel body.
Anyway in terms of it doing the job it's designed for and value this seems pretty good.

mattheweastham

I had a bit of an eye opener recently. Having tried a few different resins and not finding a great deal of difference between them...ie they all dried a bit tacky at times, I was talking to a fellow tyer at a recent demo day and he showed me his mains adapted Bug Bond torch. Not cheap, this - the torch plus mains adaption plus foot pedal to operate comes in at not much change from £100.....but by Christ it is different league when it comes to curing UV resin, tack free and hard as a rock! I tried it with what I was using at the time (Deer Creek fine) and in a few seconds the results were as good as leaving the flies on a sunlit window ledge for a few hours.

Difficulty I have is parting with the cash. I don't use resin all that much in my tying - just a handful of nymph patterns - and can't really justify to the missus spending that much on a weeny little torch. Maybe one day.....

Matt

JayP

I've used the one below before which was far too thick and never seemed to dry properly no matter how long I held the torch to it. Interested in others experiences especially with light resin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10ML-FLY-TYING-UV-RESIN-GLUE-THICK-9-LED-UV-TORCH-FOR-CURING-/122021572144?hash=item1c690d6e30:g:Ic8AAOSwKtVWvjP7

rannoch raider

Quote from: Lochan_load on October 30, 2016, 12:45:15 PM
Just a wee revisit to say I got the cheap resin I posted the link to above, 30 ml of the resin and a torch for under a tenner delivered. Came within a couple of days. The resin appeared slightly cloudy when I first looked at it on the little brush but it drys clear. I have no point of reference but it seems pretty good. The torch that came with it doesn't seem particularly powerful so I've ordered a laser pen version as recommended above, I'm hoping this will speed up the drying as I've noticed if you work straight away you can smudge the nice shiny finish e.g. If you try and put a hackle straight on after sealing a tinsel body.
Anyway in terms of it doing the job it's designed for and value this seems pretty good.

Hey Andy, If you do smudge the shiny finish on Bug Bond you can do a wee restoration by rubbing it with some of the clear alcohol gel hand cleaners applied and wiped off with a soft cloth. It will not get you a 'diamond '  finish but it does improve it significantly. ;-)

Go To Front Page