News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stonefly

Started by nant_fisher, May 04, 2006, 06:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nant_fisher

Hi guys.

I was wondering what the best artificial fly would be to represent a stonefly and how you could fish it.

I was down at the river nant today and when i got home i saw a wee thing on my jacket. At first glance i thought it was an earwig but with a bit of closer inspection it turned out to be a stonefly nymph. There meant to be a sign of good water quality and are very sensitive to pollution( so ive read) so i wonder why i never see that many trout in the river that arnt parr :?  There must be good feeding in it.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

nant_fisher

The price is a wee bitty too steep for me. I was hoping for a recipe i could tie maybe. Thanks anyway though.

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

Wildfisher

Robbie, I would not worry too much about these exact imitation patterns. I'd bet that one of Bob's DHS would work as well as anything for a stonefly.

rabbitangler

Unless I'm mistaken the famous montana nymph is, in its origional guise a stonefly. The dont come too much simpler than that to tie

Peter

haresear

Robbie,

It is rough, but would this do?

Bead head, goose biot tails, larva lace abdomen, seals fur thorax, rubber legs and a flexibody/nymphskin wingcase.

Re the legs. Ok I can't count and I hope trout can't either...

p.s. I've never seen a trout take an adult stonefly. In Canada/USA the mighty Stimulator is the usual medicine for the big salmonflies (stones).
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuotePretty good imitation, do you have much joy with them?

None whatsoever :(
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page