News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anyone know the 'black crow' fly?

Started by Lochan_load, December 29, 2016, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Been asked to tie a black crow wet fly, anyone got a pattern or even a picture of this? To be honest I've never heard of it.

garryh

there is a fly in the book about the anglers retreat called the black crow.the dressing is basically black cock fibres for the tail a body of black thread and black and red hackles palmered to make a bushy fly fished on the bob.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

garryh

elsewhere in the book the tail is given as claret fibres for the tail . i think it was a fly Billy Felton recommended to all his guests.

Garry
Education is important.

Lochan_load

smashing thanks, the fly is for the new owner of the anglers retreat so that must be where the fly has come from! Many thanks

Lochan_load

Hey Garry, does this look about right?
[attachimg=1]

garryh

Sorry but i haven't actually seen one ,i have a copy of Tales from the Anglers Retreat and at the end of each contributors stories they list their favourite flies along with the dressings .no pictures.the listings are
Hook size 10 b175                                                             
Silk black                                                               
Tail claret pheasant tail or cock fibres
Palmer hackles black and scarlet mixed
there is another one listed with exactly the same dressing .there is no body material or rib mentioned in either dressing which makes me think it is loch ordie like.but as i have not seen one i could be wrong.
maybe Roobarb (Andy) might have seen one.

Garry
Education is important.

garryh

hi Lochan i seem to have misled you in my first post the tail is claret . sorry must have misread .

Garry
Education is important.

Lochan_load

7-9  :shock:
was going to suggest some sedgehogs, good and versatile. (And quicker than a muddler!)
There isn't much between this patttern and An ordie to be honest, I have palmered and ribbed it, similar to other stuff on the list but nice enough. Thanks for the help Garry, sounds like it would be a decent read at this time of year

johnny boy

Slightly off topic but I prefer my ordies lighter dressed, whilst the fly looks good you could try a more anorexic type as well, I find they work better when the wave is not so big, I would definitely use your fly but only in a big wave, its good to have options

Lochan_load

I like ordies and bumbles etc but mostly fish a muddler of some description on the bob, a claret and black ordie  I tied for the same guy, nice but they take a lot of hackles  :shock: you wouldn't want to fill a box with them!
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page