News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Anyone know the 'black crow' fly?

Started by Lochan_load, December 29, 2016, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Both very nice looking flies. Unfortunately can't help with pattern for a Black Crow.

Robbie

Could the "Crow" be an indication of a wing feather?

Lochan_load

I though that about the wing material as well Robbie, the thing Garry says about the anglers retreat book makes sense but if it is that then it must just have been one that that the old owner favoured because it's not one that's especially different to loads of others. Bit like the machair claret without the nice tail!

garryh

I have flicked through the book again and there are a couple of mentions of the fly elsewhere. One guy says when Billy gave us this pattern i thought he was taking the mick. elsewhere someone describes it as having equal numbers of red and black hackles. i recon it was these comments which had me thinking it was very bushy.after one guy saying he thought Billy was taking the micky ,then there must have been something out of the ordinary . and the other comment about equal numbers or red and black hackles suggests more than one of each. or if anyone knows a James Patterson of Kelso as he devised the pattern.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Lochan_load

Apparently this is what one looks like and if it's not then no one will know any better anyway  :lol: someone got in touch with the pattern a while back but can't remember who now!
It's basically a black and red mayfly pattern, nice enough! [attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Correct pattern or not it is certainly a beautiful combination of materials and colours. It's like a cross between a Mayfly and a Claret dabbler. The tying ain't too shabby either.

Highlander

Bit late in on this one but for what it is worth & as Robbie says when Crow is mentioned it is invariably used as a winging material. Quite possible though could be a tail. The colouration to me makes it stand out as a Heather Fly pattern rather than a Mayfly but not one I know so could be way out here.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Cheers Alan but at least til I get this order away THAT is a black crow  :lol:  :lol:

Bobfly

Or maybe  an  "A-B-C"  ?    :D :D :D              Munro Black Crow sounds more upmarket though   :8)
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

I'd love to claim it but seems it already exists, was starting to think I'd made the dressing up!
Cheers Garry![attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page