News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wool at Hobby Craft

Started by Robbie, January 25, 2017, 07:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Asked SWMBO to get me some wool from Hobby Craft. Was wanting a couple of small raps of wool, which apperntly it is tapestry woo I was meaningl. Anyway turns out that Hobby Craft are stopping supplying this so it is currently on offer 8 for £1 and they are priced at £1 each.

I ended up with is:
[attachimg=1]

Not the colours I was looking for but a good deal to be had if you have a Hobby Craft near by.

bibio1

The best dry fly dubbing ever.

johnny boy

The tapestry wool I got given is quite stiff which I find a tad irritating when using as tail material but its great for a body material if your not looking to scrub out with Velcro.

Robbie

This stuff is pure new wool, not stiff at all.

tomcatin

I work with a merry band of crafters; over a cup of tea I mentioned I might be interested in any cast off thread or yarn for fly tying. Within a week they had generously provided me with probably a lifetimes requirements of non-reel threads including a huge range of cross-stich cotton in every useful shade imaginable, the aforementioned tapestry wool/yarn and just the other day a carrier bag full of crochet yarn (mostly synthetic wool in huge range colours including near fluorescent greens, reds and neutral colours).
Sadly my 7' 5 weight that killed fascists is deceased!

So in respect and in memorium, PLEASE DONATE TO AND SUPPORT THE WILD FISHING FORUM

johnny boy

Yep Robbie, what you got looks more like what I generally prefer to use, just wanted to point out the limitations of the tapestry wool I got since you mentioned tapestry wook

mattheweastham

I was in Hobbycraft the other day, after some soft brown wool for my missus to make pompoms with (don't ask!). I didn't really know exactly what she was after so got a few balls, one of which was a lovely dun-brown traditional looking blend....name escapes me now and I can't check as I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure it was 'Women's Institute' branded. Anyhow, I chopped some up and teased it into dubbing and bugger me if it doesn't make a beautiful March Brown mix. As it happened I had some MB spiders to tie for an auction lot so I used the wool instead of my normal hare's ear, and was very pleased with it. Bravo Hobbycraft!

Matt

bibio1

For emerges I can see past this material when teased out. It dubs well and you can get an extremely slim profile.

Lochan_load

johnny boy

Go To Front Page