News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly tying vice

Started by Chase, March 07, 2017, 07:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase

Hi Everyone ,
I am looking to replace my vice of probably 30 years standing - The jaws are losing their grip .
I tie sizes 10 down to 20 . There seems to be a huge choice out there !
The vice I have currently came from the original Lathkill tackle when it was run by Philip White  and is not branded .
I obviously don't want to get a bank loan for one !
I would like to be able to alter the angle of the head and also rotate the jaws .
Any recommendations would be appreciated .

Tyro

I have an Anvil Apex and have had no problems in three years regular tying with it. I tie from about a salmon size 3 to 16s usually. They are American manufactured and well made. They have gone up a bit in price because of the fall in the value of the pound recently but £115 should get you one.

Len

Inchlaggan

Another vote for the Anvil Apex.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

rannoch raider

Another from me! Handles from tiny to 6/0 no problem at a reasonable price.

Lochan_load

I've got the anvil atlas, bit more expensive but can't fault it, really well made and I like using it.

rannoch raider

Your post Prompted me to have a look and I've found that I too have the Atlas and not the Apex. Great vice. I've also got a Dyna King vice and that too is a fantastic and very well made tool. Unfortunately my model didn't have the rotating head so I got the Anvil for that feature. I tend to do all of my flies on that now.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 07, 2017, 04:40:48 PM
I've got the anvil atlas, bit more expensive but can't fault it, really well made and I like using it.

Great choice. High quality but still sensibly priced

hopper

I also have the atlas which I got from Harvey angling, might be worth contacting them to see if there if they have any left and a deal to be done in their closing down sale

JimJams

Atlas here aswell, don't try and be savvy buying it cheaper from the states like me, got hit with a £30 customs charge which put it over the price I would have paid in the uk. Doh.

loch coulter

Quote from: JimJams on March 07, 2017, 07:00:43 PM
Atlas here aswell, don't try and be savvy buying it cheaper from the states like me, got hit with a £30 customs charge which put it over the price I would have paid in the uk. Doh.
I was the same,had to trvel to Edinburgh to pay the customs at post office in sighthill but worked out the same as what i would have paid here.

Go To Front Page