News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly tying vice

Started by Chase, March 07, 2017, 07:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

As a cheaper alternative you could look at a Snowbee Flymate. I used to use one an found it to be a good vice and well made. Limited / no adjustment of head angle but is rotary.

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/snowbee-flymate-vice-1036-p.asp

Jamie Goodhart

I am also looking for a vice!! I had a stag due in birmingham the other week left a wee bit early the next day to go to The British fly fair before flying north. I just got confused by the choice and depressed by the prices!! Thanks all

Lochan_load

Robbie I looked at the snowbee when I was in the market, has a good name when you look about. I just went for the more expensive anvil because the wife was buying it for my Christmas  :lol:

Robbie

:lol: As would I. Generally you get what you pay, my default approach is to get the best I can afford / justify at the time.

Just thought I'd throw a cheaper options out the for the more economical among us.

Jamie Goodhart

Has anyone used/got the stillwater Magnus Vice? It a good deal cheaper than some of the others which are similar

Jamie Goodhart

Also, I am new to vices over £20, what is the real advantage of vices like the Atlas over vices like the Apex? Cheers

Robbie

There will be some sweeping generalisations in the following and as it is purely my opinion other will have their own and hopefully will give them.

The cheapest vices, AA type etc. are basic tools. They will be adjustable to suit a range of hook sizes, but this range may be limited. You will not be able to adjust head angle or rotate the fly whilst held in the jaws. Nothing wrong this this type of vice, no reason you cannot tie top quality flies on one.  Build quality and materials will match the price

Next step up will be something like the Anvil Apex, additional features include head angle adjustment and ability to rotate the fly whist in the jaws. Note this is not a rotary vice and the hook shank will not stay in plane whilst rotated. These vices should be expected to provide more reliable hook hold over a wider range of hook sizes. Build quality and materials will also be better.

Next step up would be full rotary vices, these are generally far more expensive and precision engineered tools. Operate smoothly, suitable for tying just about any size of fly you want and utilise top end materials.

There are of course vices that fall between these generalisations, but hopefully this rough explanation may be helpful. There are hundreds of options to choose from and a lot will come down to personal preference and whether you see tying flies as enjoyable and a hobby in its own right or a necessary evil to get flies specific to your fishing needs.

Highlander

QuoteI just went for the more expensive anvil because the wife was buying it for my Christmas  :lol:

And quite right too.
:roll:

PS For the record I have the Anvil Apex & the Snowbee Flymate.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

johnny boy

I got a AA as part of a novice fly tying kit over 30 years ago.  I have been given fancier and far more expensive vices as presents from family/friends over the years (birthdays/chrimbo).  Nothing as fancy as a full rotating vice but certainly plenty optional extras compared to my AA.

The new vices just didn't feel right, bulky, bits in the way where my hands and fingers wanted to be and I always have reverted back to my AA.  I know a lot of this is down to the fact the AA feels like a well worn piece of clothing, my palms and fingers know every nook and cranny and that adds to my enjoyment when tying.  Also like an old piece of well worn kit, I just see cant myself with something brighter/shinier/newer/better.

It holds hooks and that's all I want, I have a wee spring on the shaft and blue tack above the tightener to hold things down, not fancy but does whats needed.

I would suggest you try before you buy if at all possible, you may end up like me and just not like it, even if its far superior to what you have.

Fishtales

Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page