News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly tying vice

Started by Chase, March 07, 2017, 07:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

My last was a regent and really liked it,although mines was 20 quid  :lol:  I use a wee desk so it was on a g clamp and the stem kept slipping through and the whole vice would drop, bit annoying at the best of times but when it drops and thread and hackles unwind at important times it's f-&@/n annoying. That's what got me looking around for another vice and the atlas came up in different forums and reviews I read. The rotary thing I wasn't too bothered about but once you have it it's a really handy thing-I tilt the hook to a 90 degree angle when applying the dubbing/wax  to thread and it gives you more room to work and keeps your fingers and thread  away from the hook point-the anvil vices seem to have the features that more expensive ones have and the build quality is really good, maybe the ones at 400 quid are shinier!? Unless something catastrophic happens to this one I'll never buy another

Bobfly

I have a lever action heavy brass Regent which rotates but that is not a true in-line rotation. Takes any hook, very fast and it is onto a heavy base mount. Had it a long time. Does the job  :D :D
Andy .... just file a small flat onto the shaft of your Regent at the right height you want and the holding screw will grip fine and the stem will stay put.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Lochan_load

I gave it to someone on here Vaughan when I got the new one, I'm the opposite of a hoarder.....except with fly rods!

johnsd

HMH sx simple no bells and whistles solid [attachimg=1]
yer going where

rannoch raider

Now THAT is a tying station !  :applause

sagecirca

I have been using the Snowbee Waldron ever since they were first released.  Paid £125 for it from Cafaro Brothers in Glasgow (now sadly shut).   Does everything I need from it and it's jaws still look brand new!  Think they are crazy money now.  Infact just checked, they now retail for £399! 

loch coulter

Quote from: johnsd on March 11, 2017, 10:29:55 PM
HMH sx simple no bells and whistles solid [attachimg=1]
what is the tying for the devon minnow :)

Chase

I got an excellent s/h Anvil Apex from Robbie .
Tied a few last night and no issues , In todays world of vices its basic but appears well made and I think it will do everything I need .
The choice of vices (not vises !) is staggering and also the cost !!

Wildfisher

Quote from: johnsd on March 11, 2017, 10:29:55 PM
HMH sx simple no bells and whistles solid

That's an awfy tidy set up John.   :D

Billy

I have been trying to inprove my own set up.

Getting there slowly.

Billy

Go To Front Page