News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hackle Size Gauge

Started by Wildfisher, June 23, 2017, 11:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Anyone  use one of these? 

[attachimg=1]

Bobfly

~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Seems to me it would be the ideal Christmas stocking filler for fly tiers with OCD   :D

Lochan_load

Heavens no, would stifle ones artistic flare  :gay4

Mark

I have one, tho I went the cheapskate route of printing the guage, attaching to a piece of plywood and tapping  a pin into the corner.

I went through a phase of getting the perfect hackle length on parachute flies. My tying has now become more an effort to tie as many in the shortest time possible, so I don't use it anymore  :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Mark on June 23, 2017, 11:19:09 PM
My tying has now become more an effort to tie as many in the shortest time possible

This sounds very like my tying.  :D

corsican dave

those hook sizes look a bit titchy to me...
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

JimJams

I got one free with an order a couple of years ago, sits on the vise but it's never been used. Maybe I should, but then every fly should not be perfect right?

scoobyscott

I doubt there any use with modern hooks as mentioned on the other thread

Robbie

Funnily enough I was thinking about these just this morning. One of Kelly Galloup's videos on consistency in flytying got me thinking about fly proportions, in particular what is "proper". I've always just gone with what looks about right and probably not been that consistent.

Got me thinking that more consistent thing may lead to better and more robust tying.

Go To Front Page