News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Sister Carol's Grass Carp Fly

Started by corsican dave, June 30, 2017, 01:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

i had no idea when i searched for this that Sister Carol would actually BE Sister Carol..... pretty cool, huh?  :8)
http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/flymonth/FOTM112005.htm
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

It looks good Dave, but I reckon the long trailing peacock herl will last about 2 minutes. It is not a very strong material. Might be better replacing it with something like fritz

corsican dave

to be honest i've never actually seen a grass carp outside of an aquarium. i was more taken with the story than anything else  :8) however, it's a very unusual fly (for a fairly unusual species), so i'll tie up a couple for the Carp Champions stand at Fly Fest next year
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Quote from: corsican dave on June 30, 2017, 09:02:43 PM
to be honest i've never actually seen a grass carp outside of an aquarium. i was more taken with the story than anything else  :8) however, it's a very unusual fly (for a fairly unusual species), so i'll tie up a couple for the Carp Champions stand at Fly Fest next year

You know a sea weed version could work for mullet  :8)

Wildfisher

Grass carp have been introduced into a few places I know of that had weed issues. One was Mike Barrio's old stockie fishery and the other was Loch Park near Drummuir. I have seen the bow waves there, they were huge fish. I guess they will still be there, carp  are long lived fish.Doubt if they spawn there, I think carp require a constant 20*C and I doubt that water ever gets that warm

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on June 30, 2017, 09:06:03 PM
Grass carp have been introduced into a few places I know of that had weed issues. One was Mike Barrio's old stockie fishery and the other was Loch Park near Drummuir. I have seen the bow waves there, they were huge fish. I guess they will still be there, carp  are long lived fish.Doubt if they spawn there, I think carp require a constant 20*C and I doubt that water ever gets that warm

I remember hearing they cause long term issues after being stocked some where. But this was a very long time ago and I could be wrong, when I have my reading head on I'll read about it.

Robbie

I heard of someone trying to catch grass carp in a local fishery, apparently they would go for a bushy Klinkhamer. From what I remember he hooked a couple but they didn't stay on for long.

Go To Front Page