News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What hair for Half Hogs?

Started by Highlander, October 25, 2017, 05:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

What hair do you guys recommend for winging half hogs & the like. Have not tied any of this type before The hollow hair I have whilst ideal for Muddler heads is unsuitable for this type of fly as it flares easily. I have among others a piece from the States which they use for Comparadun flies. Would this be more suitable? or is it just a case of trying the different furs.
thanks

PS just had a look at a dusty old box I forgot I had & I have Wolf, Bear Antelope, Pronghorn,Elk, Coastal Deer,Roe & Red Deer & some I know nought of. Funny what one collects over the years
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

pedropete

for me somewhere between coastal or roe you won't go wrong.

Robbie

johnny boy

You will find it all wants to flare, tie down the bunches as you would a split wing (keeping all snugly between finger n thumb before letting go to see how it looks). Make sure you cut and snug down unwanted heads of deer hair and it should produce the mohican style your looking for.

Lochan_load

If you're having bother with normal deer flaring  then coastal will help and tying in smaller bunches limits the flare a bit as well. The bigger the bunch the more it'll kick out.

Inverguseran

Coastal Deer hair is my preference. however for darker wings I have used Red Deer.

Go To Front Page