News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Petitjean hackle pliers

Started by Robbie, January 11, 2018, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

I know these are pricey, just wondered if anyone has ever used one and are they any good?

https://www.flytyingboutique.com/tools-and-vices/hackle-pliers/hackle-pliers/

sagecirca

I haven't used his hackle pliers but I have several of his other tools like the bobbin holder and magic clips.  Pricey as said and a bit of a niche product but it's a pleasure to tie with nice tools and vice.  I actually use the C&F hackle plier which is similar money and quite nice to use. 

Robbie

i have a set of the smaller C&F hackle pliers which are excellent. Have also been eyeing op the larger rotary version of these.

The ability pf the Petitjean pliers to hold multiple hackles is interesting, if it works well.

rannoch raider

All the Petitjean gear is expensive ! To be fair it is also pretty well made and seems to do what it is designed to do. You'll have seen him use it in his videos Robbie ? It produces a tight 'noodle' that leaves a slightly segmented look which I like. I don't know how easy it would be to get that effect with fingers or other types of hackle pliers.
I just bought the wee stacking tool. That was pricey but it works well with magic tool kit.

Highlander

There are quite a few of these rotary pliers around American tiers seem to like them. Veniard I think make a pair around £5, C& F ones considerable more around £20 Never been a fan of the Petitjean gear not that it is bad just the price tag puts me off somewhat. Still everyone to their own for me I will stick to my English style ones.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Robbie

Jim, yeah I watched the video, looks great for CDC, was wondering how well it would hold other slimmer feather stalks.

The stacker tool looks neat, looks like it makes a neat job of CDC wing and wing posts. Have you tried it for stacking deer hair?

rannoch raider

I haven't used it for hair at all Robbie. I'll probably stick to the standard stackers for that. The Petitjean stacker works well with CDC for 'stalk less' wings and even posts. Handy for tying smaller sizes.

Go To Front Page