News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

flys for wild trout...and why!!

Started by pedropete, April 07, 2018, 06:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedropete

evening folks,

as most of you know I'm pretty new to the wild fishing mullarkey,  very new in fact, but so far so good, I'm still trying to get to grips with fly design, shape, size ribbing etc..for wild trout, maybe some of the forum members with more experience than me could make a comment regarding rules of thumb so to speak,Andy had a bash at explaining to me about fly size and the wisdom behind it, thanks for that, made a lot of sense

1...fly colour choice versus watercolour/quality, peaty lochs, limestone, highland

2...wide tinsel ribs on wets/palmers etc as opposed to ovals and wire ribs on western isles flys v mainland/highland

and again maybe a few words on your experience on fly size in general or specific if you like.

please feel free to add anything else you think relevant!!

cheers.

SoldierPmr

I'm not the best to ask about pretty flys. Like Dave I like to make big bold streamers larger the better I could go all day and get one fish on them but it's usually a lump. For both river and still water. When fishing traditional wets I never moved far from size 12s and 14s for still waters.

corsican dave

wide tinsel vs. oval sounds very techy to me. my rule of thumb is there are no rules. switch it up, ring the changes, watch what's going on and adapt & improvise.... i'd say don't get hung up on it too much and try & think like a fish  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

pedropete

thanks for the replies so far, wise words from all, especially Daves "think like a fish" and andys  "I see some terrible examples of fly tying with flies with awful proportions - and of course they all catch fish"

what more do you need to know!!

rannoch raider

Anglers and fly tiers have probably been disagreeing on the points you bring up since the first fly was tied. For my tuppence worth, I would say that the best pattern on the day will be any one of your choice that inspires you fish with total confidence, presented in the right place at the right time.
There you go . Nothing to it! :lol:

SoldierPmr

Quote from: rannoch raider on April 08, 2018, 07:22:59 PM
Anglers and fly tyers have probably been disagreeing on the points you bring up since the first fly was tied. For my tuppence worth, I would say that the best pattern on the day will be any one of your choice that inspires you fish with total confidence, presented in the right place at the right time.
There you go . Nothing to it! :lol:

Well said. When I started I would swap and change every 15 minutes. Most days now I'll keep the same flys on my cast unless I'm changing tactics.

Bobfly

Brownies can be pretty aggressive hunters and will have a go at some big flies if they represent minnows and such. There are some old sayings like dark water dark sky dark flies. Bright water bright sky bright flies. Big wave big flies. On some poorer waters terrestrials like bibios and daddies can be a big part of feeding.
Otherwise .... If in doubt .... use something small and black !!!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

haresear

Quote from: Bobfly on April 08, 2018, 09:51:32 PM
Brownies can be pretty aggressive hunters and will have a go at some big flies if they represent minnows and such. There are some old sayings like dark water dark sky dark flies. Bright water bright sky bright flies. Big wave big flies. On some poorer waters terrestrials like bibios and daddies can be a big part of feeding.
Otherwise .... If in doubt .... use something small and black !!!!

The thing is.....wee black flies actually look like flies :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Bobfly

Those pesky trout eat any old stuff!  Unless they are "educated" of course  :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Highlander

I am a great man for "fishing in harmony" with the water.

Dark foreboding water then dark flies. Pennell, Black Zulu, Bibio, Connemara Black etc etc
Peaty waters: Red & Clarets with a hint of gold do well
Machair or Limestone lochs. Lighter flies, Greenwell, Loch Ordie Invicta. Butchers, Dunkeld can be useful if Stickleback or Minnow present.that sort of thing.
Around weedbeds green flies can do well Grouse & Green, Burleigh etc
Sandy bottoms favour flies with a touch of flash, Teal Blue, Blue Zulu, Butchers
Nothing in fishing is written in stone & then again it might be the opposite  :roll:
If in doubt a good starting point is "dark day dark fly. light day light fly". Andy is spot on about using oval for ribbing & other than overwinding flat tinsel with fine same coloured wire I smear a wee bitty varnish over the thread underbody before applying the flat tinsel. Do the same with herl but a smear only.
50 years of experience does help but even then get beat on occasion. Well more than the occasion.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page