News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fran(cis) Betters

Started by Havtafish, May 24, 2006, 11:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Havtafish

I just bought the latest edition of FF+FT and read your article Bob. I noticed you gave credit to Fran Betters in it. A  :idea:  came on for me as your fly tying style reminded me of something but couldn't put my finger on it. I was at a fly show in Syracuse NY in 1987 and got a signed copy of his book Flyfishing-Flytying and Pattern Guide(first edition) My favorite patterns were the Ausable Caddis, Usual and the Haystack. In my opinion his fly tying was way ahead of its time. In fact those three patterns dominated my flybox. There was many a day where trimming the wing on a haystack and fishing it on the scitter saved the day. He semed to very much an advocate of "its not always what fly your fishing but how your fishing it". Ive read the book cover to cover 5 or 6 times and every time picked out stuff in it that I missed. For those of you you have never read his book he really enjoyed just being oot there as most of us fly fisherman do. I say most as Ive met a few who are out for other reasons. Heres a clip from his book

REALITY
by Fran Betters

Take the time to cast your troubles
Out on a silver rippling stream
And nature will replace them
With a raft of sparkling dreams

Each trout that comes to greet you
Will bring a treasure all its own
And each calm and peaceful moment
Will be a joy to carry home

Take a drink from all the beauty
That is offered on your stay
For it may all be gone tomorrow
If you dont treasure it today

A true gentleman and credit to the sport

Scott

Bob Wyatt

Scott,

I'd like to get a copy of Betters' book.  His approach to fly tying has had a big effect on my own for sure.

Good stuff.

Bob

Havtafish

Ive read that you enjoy lore aboot fly fishing and thought you might like a wee snippet. I use to beg borrow and steal any snoeshoe hares feet off my hunting mates. At that time you couldnt find it in shops as I only ever seen it once. That "Usual" was defintely not usual as I had some extraordinary success with it. Im hoping to get out on an excursion with the boys from the forum(wife permitting :oops: ). If your ever going to be around for one Ill be happy to put Frans book in my bag

Scott

Go To Front Page