News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dapping flies

Started by Ardbeg, August 26, 2004, 09:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardbeg

I tend to use the same fly every time I go dapping.  I almost always catch a trooty or two with it.  Would it be a bit more productive if I changed the fly more frequently?  Has anybody got any suggestions for home tied dapping flies?  Richy, I believe you're the resident dapper on this site, got any secret recipes tucked up your sleeve?  P.S noticed you found the wee icon things.  Is that a hint to hobbies other than fishing?

Ardbeg

Wildfisher

Hamish (shielfisher) is the resident  dapping master. I am sure he will be able to help.

Richy

Ardbeg

Have dapped for the past 5 years so still a novice compared to some of the "Auld Heeds" but I tend to use dark body with a lighter hackle just for the visibility.

The genetic capes have longer feathers that suit the job to a tee and you can get a good palmered effect easily.

The "Daddy Long Legs" is also a fly not to be missed as the troots go mental when its on.

The bottom line for me is that as long as its skipping across the surface then most patterns work. I think that the wind condition is a more important factor rather than the choice of the fly.

Would love to dap with the "Auld Heeds" as I might be going down the wrong road.  :oops:  and would love to learn.

On another note, yes got the wee icon thing going and after the slagging I got about my beer at Loch Laidon, thought that it suited. :D  :D
As I sat there drinking my Loch chilled beer, 8)   I could feel all the other guys staring at me as they had none !!!  I swear I saw the slavers dripping off Fred's chin as I drained the last of my FOUR beers. Yes four it was, not a dozen as I was alledged to have carried in !!!

Felt like the guy out of the Stella advert on the telly !!

So Fred, if your listening, lets get an "End of Season" forum trip on the go as Laidon was magic.

All the best

Richy

Wildfisher

Quote from: shielfisherFred :!:
You are indeed too kind :oops:
What I can do - if it's of use to anyone :?:  - is tie up some dapping flies of different types for different conditions with the 'recipe' and speak to our host about putting the piccies of the flies with the 'recipe' somewhere on the site :?:
I use around 6 different patterns in different sizes on conventional hooks (low-water salmon singles, although a stout l/s trout hook will do) and similar patterns tied on plastic tubes. I do have 'one' secret fly, a pattern shown to me many moons ago (I was sworn to secrecy then, but it was 15 years ago......) which I can include.
Fred, it's over to you if you think the flies & recipes would work on the site :wink:

Hamish, go for mate. You can either send me the flees (I?ll photograph them)  or the pics and put up a post in text then I?ll add the photos. Just let me know when you can manage.

Go To Front Page