News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

F Flies

Started by Wildfisher, June 25, 2006, 01:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptinid

I have to agree with Clan Ford. I've not had any success with DHE type flies on the rivers, but I do get hits with F-flies and derivatives. I've also ties with a polyprop wing and they're pretty useful as an emerger pattern, but they are at their best when there's lots of midges and other smaller flies on the water.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

badger

I have a similar experience with F-flies. They are usually the last fly to go on my cast when targetting fish that seem picky, when the usual patterns don't seem to have it quite right. I don't use them as standard because they just aren't as durable as other flies. But for me there is definitely an 'x-factor' with CDC, which seems to make the F-fly brilliant in a hatch of duns. This happened recently actually, and it was amazing the difference it made to use this fly. It's got to be the way the body lies right IN the film.

Wildfisher

That is an excellent tying sequence.

nordicnorm

what a lovely fly - and very fishing looking. The website is well worth a look also - my french is not very good so I used the google/translate facility which as well as being useful is entertaining - for example a drop of superglue becomes super lime!!

badger

That really does look like a belting fly. I bet it make a hell of a mess on the surface :)

Thanks for the link, I came across this site earlier in the season and meant to try some of the flies, but never got round to it.

Wildfisher

Quote from: SwithunThat French bloke is clearly pretty serious about his tying!

He probably gets an EU subsidy for it.  :lol:

deergravy

I agree with Allan
If you're pulling them out every chuck, CDC can be a pain, but I don't find them much more difficult to revive after a fish than a feather hackle.

A quick dunk to wash off the slime,then a good hard rub/squeeze on your t-shirt/amadou/kitchen roll, a quick fluff up and you're back in business.

With the possible exception of the Griffith's sparkle gnat, CDC/F-fly type emergers are my No 1  summer dry fly on lowland waters

Dave

jonboy

after catching a fish or two  on cdc fleas you can bring it back up to scratch by washing and drying then treating it with gink, just the tiniest amount though by just touching the nozzle of the bottle with your fingertip then work it well in to the cdc , any overdoing it with the gink just clogs up the barbules on the cdc and has the opposite effect, ie it sinks it.

tightlines jonboy.

Go To Front Page