News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Alder's

Started by lnelson20, June 27, 2006, 02:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lnelson20

There have been large hatches of alder's around my local loch's recently,[also known by the angler's friend i do believe]and was wondering if anyone know's of a good pattern to represent these,would a small black sedgehog do the trick,maybe :?:

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Havtafish

Chris

Have you seen these flies emerging from the water? Were the trout taking them?

Scott

lnelson20

Thank's Steve,sure i have the material's to tie this pattern at home,and will give them a buzz.Scott,i have not seen them emerge from the water let alone any trout feeding on these,although there are plenty about,experimental really,as i once read that these flies have high level's of acid within their body's which upset the trout in some sort of way[Oh dear,i'm getting well out of my depth here :lol:  :lol:]any comment's,anyone else heard anything along these lines :?: Thank's for the replies lad's.

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Havtafish

If you see them emerging from the water they are definetly not alders. They lay their eggs on the grass or vegetation. The larva falls into the water where it eats as a carnivore. It then crawls back on the land to pupate. In my experience I have found the trout to have little interest in them. Theres no vulnarable stage where they can be eaten. I would be interested to know if anyone else has found this?

Scott

Ian_M

A dressing for the Alder fly that I picked from a book many yars ago is as follows ..

Tail: none
Body: Peacock Herl
Rib: Claret Floss
Hackle: Black Hen
Wing: Grouse

I have had success with this pattern on rivers but never tried it on a loch - always thought of it as a river fly for some reason.  As far as I remember the dry version was similar but called for an undersized cock hackle to let it sit low in the water (emerger style I guess).
Ian

lnelson20

Thank's Ian :D

All the best

Chris.
c.nelson

Highlander

For some reason the Trout do not seem to like the adult fly. The few times I have seen them on the water the Trout have not been interested.
A wet version seems to work though, why? I have no idea but there you go.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page