News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Spent Mayfly spinner patterns

Started by deergravy, July 27, 2006, 09:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deergravy

What patterns do you find effective during a fall of Mayfly(Danica) spinners?
I've been caught out a couple of times recently in Sutherland without a decent imitation and had to scrape by with a modified (by scissors) dun pattern.
Actually, I've devised a pattern since I got back that I think will do the business;

Hook - B100  size 10
    Detatched body - white ethafoam cylinder
    Hackle - grizzle cock, trimmed flat underneath

Bet it's a pig to cast, though!
Any recommendations?

Cheers

Dave

Ptinid

FWIW, I've had some success with a fairly simple pattern using a dubbed body (usually dark yellow), paint brush bristles for the tails, a small hackle for legs and CDC feathers tied in by the thick end, and set horizontally for wings. Looks like crap when you pull it out of the water, but floating, the CDC opens up and looks like wings. Pulled a few nice broonies out last year on it.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Malcolm

Hook size 10 Longshank
Tail: Pheasant tail
Body: lightly teased cream wool with a couple of turns of tying thread (brown) towards the tail
hackle 2-3 cdc feathers wound as a hackle
Wings 2 badger hackle tips about 1/2 inch long tied spent

Unfortunately I seldom get a chance to fish on good mayfly waters - probably only a few days every other year - but this pattern was given to me by a friend who was a part time river keeper on a wonderful mayfly water in Wiltshire (now almost dead thanks to water abstraction). I haven't used it yet.

I was in Sutherland this year during mayfly time the conditions were't right for spinner fall.    

Best of luck
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

deergravy

Thanks for the replies,
Shame I won't get a chance to try them until next June :cry:

Prototypes of my hideous foam-bodied creation are looking promising in the bathroom sink.
Trout, alas, are very adept at poo-pooing our clever ideas.We shall see..

Dave

Go To Front Page