News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Elk hair

Started by ten boaber, August 01, 2006, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ten boaber

Are elk hair emergers the same as deer hair emergers or do they fish differently?I have seen both on different websites and wondered if they are yhe same flies with differnet names.

ten boaber

Have I asked a stupid question and no one wants to tell me, if so I have heard worse :lol:  :lol:   Or have I stumped the forum, which I doutb?
Therefore it has to be me. oops :shock:  :shock:  :lol:

bluezulu

i'll admit i've been waiting for someone to answer the question myself....experience suggests guest is right but there are many Deer hair experts on the forum who may tell us more.

Pearly Invicta

Perhaps we should get hold of an elk and a deer of equal weight and float them. Then we would know once and for all.

Malcolm

Elk doesn't compress and flare like deer hair so elk lies flatter along the body. It's also coarser than any deer hair I know so gives the fly a different texture.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Richy

I use elk for the sedge type patterns and its a top fly on the rivers. Used it on the Avon and didn't move more than ten yards and had fish in the teens.

Deer hair for the emergers though.

All the best

Richy

haresear

QuoteUsed it on the Avon and didn't move more than ten yards and had fish in the teens.

That's a huge fish. :lol:  Only kidding Richy.

Deer or Elk? I'm with Malcolm.
QuoteElk doesn't compress and flare like deer hair so elk lies flatter along the body. It's also coarser than any deer hair I know so gives the fly a different texture.

Elks for courses. Or deer.
Protect the edge.

ten boaber

Cheers boys, it has confirmed what I thought Ihave to do.
Simple- buy both type of flees to add to my box :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

deergravy

Isn't Elk just the north American name for Red Deer?
As well as being the Scandinavian name for moose?

I've got loads of different patches of deer-hair in my fly-tying kit, to be honest I couldn't put a name to most of them, I just select the most suitable hair for the job on the basis of colour and texture.

I suspect the area of the pelt from which they come is as important as the species, tho' I couldn't say for sure.

I know I use roe deer for small flies.

Sorry if this isn't much help!

Dave

haresear

Dave,

If you hit a red deer in a ford focus, you would win. If you hit an elk........
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page