News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Snowshoe Hare

Started by Wildfisher, September 25, 2006, 04:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I notice this is used on Bob Wyatt's DHE for small hook sizes. What is it? Where do I get it? What bits do I use?

Ian_M

I have often wondered about this material when quoted in dressings and was therefore motivated to go looking.

I found the following website which seems to make sense (at least for me) ...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/intermediate/part28.html

Not looked for a source for this material as yet.
Ian

Clan Ford

Just bought some from:-

http://www.taimen.com/

And after having tied up a few patterns with the stuff have come to the conclusion that - "ginked polypropylene" might be a better bet. Just like I found with the DHE.

badger

I have played around a little with this material, and I must say I quite like it. Certainly suits the smaller sizes. I bought some a while back when I stumbled into GAC, and last time I was there I noticed they had a couple of dyed variations I think. Don't bother mail ordering from them though. The stuff I have is sort of blue/grey and can be damned near impossible to see on the water though..!
I've tried the polyprop loop wings as well on the DHE and it looks like a pretty nice way to go. Only problem is the trooties don't half savage them quickly.

The General

Keep practicing the deer hair.  I tried to scan a dhe I used yesterday and got me four fish over three quarters of a pound and I will be using the same fly again.  The deer hair is still intact and shone like a beacon in the grey water.  The secret was not to move the fly for ten seconds after casting.  I lost quite a number through the fish trying to drown it and me not being sharp enough to let it lie a bit longer.
Can someone let me into the secret of scanning flies as opposed to photographing them for the site.

Davie

rabbitangler

Sorry guys you cant beat snowshoe for smaller flies, its got natural floatability and, more importantly, you dont have to tie a new fly on every time you catch a fish like CDC, all you do is scrub it in water & shove more gink/dilly wax/whatever on it and away you go again. Tie it sparsely without the short bumf (use an eyebrow comb to get rid of this - available at your local chemists). :D

Peter

haresear

I've been using Snowshoe Hare in preference to CDC for a couple of years now.
It is bulletproof and does the same job. I got mine from Glasgow Angling Centre in several shades. Light, medium and darkish dun colour.
There is nothing magical about it in terms of translucency floatability etc. It is just a fine, crinkly hair that is easy to tie with and is very tough and will not break like Elk, Deer etc.

I prefer it to a poly yarn loop wing because a backswept straight wing is much more aerodynamic.
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

I'm a polyprop fan and I have more confidence in it than either Deer Hair or Snow Shoe.  It is simpler to tie and simply by thinning or teasing out the strands you can pretty much do anything with it.  Comes in a good range of colours but I stick to White, Grey or Brown.  On occasion I'll go to a CDC F-Fly for a really fussy fish when the polyprop has failed sometimes it works but not always.  I really don't like CDC due to it lack of durability and floating ability.

Go To Front Page