News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

October 2006 Fly Swap Flies

Started by Wildfisher, October 17, 2006, 08:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What are you tying, what is the pattern, how do you fish it? Include a photo if you have one

Wildfisher

Black Ice Spider

Tied some of these up last winter. They don't come much simpler than this. Simple = effective. I have caught a load of browns and 'bows on this. It is deadly, helped I think by the sparse dressing and translucency of the body.  Have not used it on rivers. I fish it on the top dropper of a 2 fly, or the middle dropper of a three fly cast. Floating line, dead slow retrieve.

Hook: 14
Thread: red
Body:  Veniard Black Ice Yarn, a sparse bunch of strands torn from the yarn and dubbed  onto the thread.
Rib : Tying thread
Hackle : natural black hen, two turns

Also  works well as an olive variant. Use olive ice yarn and a greenwell hen hackle.

Pearly Invicta

A black hopper? Is that its name John?

Some suggestions

Dennis Hopper
Space Hopper
Shaft (Black Copper)

I'll get me coat

Malcolm

Hello,

Tying an edie with a couple of minor variations. Firstly I think it's a better fly on a standard s10 rather than a 2x Ls. Secondly I prefer a hackle fibre tail rather than moose tail.

Tying:
Hook: s.10
Body: pale yellow/beige wool
Tail: Dark ginger hackle fibre
Thorax: Dark Brown Poly dubbing
Wing: Deer Hair Compara style but quite Sparse
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Malcolm

Sorry didn't attach image
Here it is
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ptinid

If nobody minds, I'm going to tie a new fly. I found an interesting material called Kanban metallic craft cord. It's basically a blue polyprop core with black metallic weave over it and I've been using it for both instant detached bodies and  for simple, instant body & tails (black sparkly body - blue tail). Superglued onto shank.

I've had some success with it in late season and the nymph version was quite useful for the broonies on the Eden in September.

I've no name for it, and I'll fiddle with the dressing a bit before tying up the swap flies. Think you'll like it though.

In the same craft shop, I also found 'Anita's 3-D clear gloss finish' which makes quite a nice alternative to laquer varnishes. It's slightly softer and I find it easier to apply.

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

nant_fisher

Quotecould call it the gay boy (being pink)

That could go right with my "poof" fly that i tied up one evening. Its a got a shrimp pink body and a white and red palmered body. I've still no used it, never dared.

Cheers
Robbie
Adventure time

Wildfisher

it might come out better on  a neutral grey background

nant_fisher

I must say its not as gay as my one, but thats not really something to boast about.....
Adventure time

nant_fisher

Is it ok if i tie my poof fly up? I've never used it before and have no idea how effective it will be so i wouldnt want to waste everybodys time if its pish.
Adventure time

Go To Front Page