News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

October 2006 Fly Swap Flies

Started by Wildfisher, October 17, 2006, 08:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptinid

Sorry, can't get that yarn to work well - or rather consistently enough to tie up 20 flies (allowing for duff ones). It keeps slipping round the hook, and superglue don't hold it well enough.

I'll work on it over the winter, but will have to come up with something else for the swap.

Dunno what, worse - dunno when  :?

There will be contribution. Will have to delve deep into the books though!
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Wildfisher

Bob'll be after you Ardbeg. That thorax is a bit long!  :D

rabbitangler

Sorry this is such a simple wee fly but I've caught plenty on it. It works really weel on the point tied on a #10 double, but I didn't have any.

It started life after I'd been tying some silver march browns so I call it a pearly march brown.

nant_fisher

When do you want the flees to be in for?
Adventure time

Clan Ford

Poly Yarn Emerger.

Hook:   Teimco TMC200R, size 18, barb crushed and shank bent so body sits below surface.
Thread: 8/0 Olive,
Body:    harelug
Rib:      Tying thread
Wing:    Grey Poly Yarn
Thorax: harelug
Hackle:  badger, clipped on the underside.

My top dry fly on the river this season.  A couple of variations - smaller hook and a white wing is good during a BWO hatch in the gloom.  If there are sedge about a brown poly yarn wing tied over the hackle seems to do the job.  As youd expect just a wee dab of gink up by the thorax, wet the body first!

Not quite figured out how to post images yet, hope its not too big!

I've PM'd you for your details Steve.  I'll get them in the post as soon as I know where to send them.

Norm

Wildfisher

Andy, what sizes do you tie them in

Wildfisher

Quote from: Exerod on November 26, 2006, 02:27:40 PM
The Black gnat in question is a terrestrial, so it will be less of an emerger and more of a drowner :)

Trouble with  entering  a fly swap with you Andy is your flies are so professional and well tied you show us chancers  up!  :D

Ptinid

My flies will, unfortunately, be there on time, and also will be up to my usual low standard  - I really mean that this time  :oops:

Time has not been my friend so  - a really simple fly - so simple I'm more than a bit embarrased - except that it did catch fish last season.

size 12 down eyed hooks
black thread
sparse strands of white CDC to act as a shuck
Olive Seal fur sub body dubbing (nice and leggy)
and grey closed cell foam for the thorax.

It swims just below the surface when cast upriver and should be OK on lochs as well.

Will have 'em finished and in the post to arrive on 30th Nov (1st Dec at worst.)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

nant_fisher

Just finished tying my flees tonight and my dads gonna do his tommorow at work. Sorry for being so late. Kept delaying it and delaying it. Are we the last?

Cheers

Robbie
Adventure time

nant_fisher

Is it 16 we've to tie? How long are you willing to wait for them, my dads being really lazy and still not tied them, il try and get onto him to hurry up.
Adventure time

Go To Front Page