News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Greatest Loch Wet Flies Of All Time

Started by Wildfisher, October 30, 2006, 03:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on October 31, 2006, 10:54:46 AM
country" spiders - snipe and purple and partridge and orange - do these count?. 

Whatever you catch them on counts.

paulr

kate mclaren
bibio
black zulu
black pennel

silverbutcher

Quote from: crocach on October 31, 2006, 11:13:42 AM
Quote from: Malcolm on October 31, 2006, 10:54:46 AMI reckon last year 95% of my fish were caught on dry flies, nymphs and this years big discovery - "north country" spiders - snipe and purple and partridge and orange - do these count?. 

Malcolm

On lochs?

Fished these patterns for the first time this year, mostly on the rivers. I had a memorable day on the river Farrar in June, with most fish coming to snipe and purple. Also had some success with both of them on Loch Doon.

Billy

Malcolm

Quote from: crocach on October 31, 2006, 11:13:42 AM
Quote from: Malcolm on October 31, 2006, 10:54:46 AMI reckon last year 95% of my fish were caught on dry flies, nymphs and this years big discovery - "north country" spiders - snipe and purple and partridge and orange - do these count?. 

Malcolm

On lochs?

Yup!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

paulr

Pretty much Ardbeg!
I have the best of intentions of trying out new patterns and flies,but after a few fruitless casts i nearly always resort back to these favourites!I suppose i like to fish with confidence knowing that the flies im using have worked for me in the past.
I reckon i spent about 90% of last season with a bushy black zulu on the bob,bibio on the dropper and a wee lure style green tailed kate on the point!
Stuck in my ways i suppose.
Next season i have promised myself i'l learn to fish the DHE properly.........

cheers Paul

Gander

Green tailed Kate for me as well.

Easily my most successful wet fly this year. Always my first choice for the middle dropper.

I tie it with a dark ginger cock hackle and a tail of 50/50 Globrite numbers 11 & 12.

johnsd

the kate,s for me most of the season but a fly that was not used and sat in a corner of my fly box until the last day of the season up at Ba was a soldier palmer must have taken about 1/2 dozen on it.cheers John
yer going where

deergravy

Loch Ordie
The 'proper' tying with rear half black,front half brown plus one turn of white, all webby hen-hackles. Don't know why, but it's an absolute magnet for highland brownies.
Palmered March Brown for more fertile/lowland lochs.
Tied 'just right' this fly has come up trumps for me,when others have failed, more than maybe any other wet fly.
Hook; 10, 12 14 wet fly
Body; yellow thread sparsley dubbed with hare's ear
Rib; gold wire
Palmered hackle; brown/red game hen, sparse
Head hackle; brown partridge, one or two turns

Both flies would probably be regarded as bob flies, rightly so, but I've used both flies to great effect on the point or on their own.

Also have a soft spot for Silver Invicta... a great, versatile fly
But I have to go with Loch Ordie as my vote for best trad

Dave

deergravy

That's right, I think the guy called it the "Annihilator' or the "Serial killer" or some nonsense. I suppose a combination of hare's ear, red game, partidge and gold wire is pretty obvious, no doubt this fly has been 'invented' many times. Headley's tying, with the yellow silk showing through the sparse HE dubbing, is pretty special, I think.
Not tried the anorexic Ordie, is that the one he wrote about a while back, which comprises basically a turn of black hen and a turn of white at the front of a bare hook?With optional knotted pheasant legs?
I can easily believe they would do the business on finicky fish - less is more.
I'm no great fan of Headly - his brash, arrogant style rather grates - but I don't doubt the qualities of some of his patterns.(Although I'm not convinced I really need a comprehensive selection of 'Half-hogs' in my box.)
BTW, Col, how's the pike fishing been?
Best laid plans for an October fly - fishing trip fell through, but apperently the GAC has some Pike gear on sale at the mo', bait and spinning tackle, just fancy getting kitted up and getting out there.

Dave

haresear

On the bob I usually use the following:

Black - Zulu
Brownish - Loch Ordie or My Own Thing. (I don't have a name for it. I'll add it to the patterns database, before I get heckled).
Olive - An olive version of My Own Thing!

Tail (I only fish 2 at a time)

Black - Butcher or Connemara
Brownish  - Cinnamon & Gold or Hare & Copper nymph.
Olive - Blae & Olive
Yellow - Invicta

I must admit I don't get too worried about specific patterns. I just like to have a variety of colours and shades and profiles with me, so that I can make it up as I go along. If I see olives, I fish olives. If I don't see anything, I'll stick with black or brown on the bob and a contrast on the tail. Very scientific :lol:

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page