News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shucks! (a trigger?)

Started by col, November 26, 2006, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Was wanting to kno what material others are using for shucks for upwinged flies, Poly yarn, etc. John Goddard used blond fur  (what is it , who makes it?) in his klinkhammer style fly. Other suggestions were things like summer duck.Anyway  i'm looking to improve on poly yarn ,what do you use?

Fishtales

I used Crystal Flash on my suspender nymph. I would suggest anything light and translucent. I have used Nymph Glass in the past too.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Clan Ford

Hi Col,

I currently use poly yarn, not found anything better.  In the past have experimented with plastic, monofilament, all sorts of flashy stuff and feathers.  I just thin the yarn down to an appropriate size and sometimes tie a wee knot in it.

Norm

Wildfisher

Perhaps the old golden pheasant crest used on the older patterns worked as a shuck? Can’t think what else it might have been taken for

haresear

Poly for me.

I noticed a poly-yarn "tail" made a big difference to my sedges, despite the fact that sedges have neither a tail nor keep a shuck (they hatch so quickly). The yarn" tail" was in fact probably a fair representation of a wing.
If you look at a sedge from below, it is long and slim and the body occupies only the front third of the sillhouette. The rest is the wing and translucent.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quoteperhaps a balloon caddis with a poly yarn tail is the answer

Col, I found it (the poly yarn tailed job) really effective on the Lanarkshire Avon a couple of years ago.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

A cinnamon sort of shade is what I have been using.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Posted in wrong place . Moved.
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Hi Col,

Yes, you've got the idea of the knot spot on.

Norm

haresear

Looks lovely Col, but it also looks like it may be a one-cast fly (leader twist).

If you can solve the spinner (but not a leader spinner) problem, I would be most interested. I have ideas, but they involve CDC.

Let us know how it goes.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page