News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shucks! (a trigger?)

Started by col, November 26, 2006, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Ford

Col,

I first used the knotted shuck, years ago on wee tiny dries on the WoL.  Moved on to using them on Klinks, just as you suggested but last season had a few difficult fish on emerger style flies where i was hoping the shuck was fishing under the surface.  I'm not convinced that the yarn sinks though so not sure if I was really managing the effect I was after but the troots didn't seem to mind!

Norm

haresear

QuoteCol and Steve proudly present " A' Fish like Wunda".

:lol: :lol: You should be in advertising, Ardbeg. Brilliant.

Col,

As i posted in another thread, I've always had a problem with getting a non-spinning , spinner pattern. How do you tie your poly wing rusty spinner?

Alex
Protect the edge.

ChildOfTheMist

Col that's a crackin lookin fly.

I'd say it would do some damage on my local, the Tyne in East Lothian.

haresear

QuoteIve entered a rusty spinner in the fly database. Wings secured with a simple figure of eight. This is mike weavers pattern  his book "the pursuit of wild trout" (apart from the tail)here is the link for the fly database. cant see the microfibbet tail all that well in the picture's.
http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/flydatabase/locationdetail.php?loc=1861

Thanks Col. I'll give it a try.
I lost a flybox with all my wee dries last season, so I'm going to be busy tying over the winter.

The Wunda Dun looks good too. I wunda how durable the stuff is :lol:

QuoteThink i know where your going with the cdc alex A dubbing loop thorax?

I hadn't really come up with a design for a CDC spinner. I just thought the CDC would tend to fold while being cast, rather than twist the leader.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quotewunda dun sounds like a wundaful name for it.

Credit to Ardbeg. He started it. I'll take 30% in royalties though.  :lol:

I hope the stuff lasts well. It could well have a few applications.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

That looks good Col. Is it a single wing?

alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Thanks Col. I'll use that technique when I eventually get around to replacing my lost flies.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

There is only one problem with the poly-yarn, as it is intrinsically hydrophobic, it tends to float. This can mess up your presentation.

TL
MC

Clan Ford

I use poly yarn all the time, not noticed it floating (especially when I want it to) :?

Norm

.D.

Quote from: col on December 09, 2007, 06:03:45 PM
Ive just tank tested the above flee. The body and shuck  cuts the surface when dropped from a foot no bother  :D. Perhaps it benefits in this respect from the slim  flexi floss body.
Col

The burnt bit at the tip may help too.

I've used twinkle in the same way, though the tips don't bond together too well. Weak furling works OK too.

I'm convinced the body of large Klinks ( when tied with some of the more sombre shades of Flyrite) represents a shuck in many cases, and the herl thorax, post and hackle represent the rest of the fly stuck there in the meniscus. It might explain why it works so well in large sizes. That's why I don't add shucks to large Klinks.
Any thoughts?

.D.

Go To Front Page