News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shucks! (a trigger?)

Started by col, November 26, 2006, 12:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Quote from: col on December 09, 2007, 06:03:45 PM
Ive just tank tested the above flee. The body and shuck  cuts the surface when dropped from a foot no bother  :D. Perhaps it benefits in this respect from the slim  flexi floss body.
Col

If it works well, great.  I dressed some sunk abdomen flies using chopped poly-yarn, quite a while ago now, and I could not get them to sink!

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: .D. on December 09, 2007, 06:12:17 PM

I'm convinced the body of large Klinks ( when tied with some of the more sombre shades of Flyrite) represents a shuck in many cases, and the herl thorax, post and hackle represent the rest of the fly stuck there in the meniscus. It might explain why it works so well in large sizes. That's why I don't add shucks to large Klinks.
Any thoughts?

.D.

Indeed, I agree with that completely. I believe the Klink represents a hatching midge better than anything else.

TL
MC

haresear

The fly Col came up with is almost exactly the fly that Harelug and I did so well with this year in olive hatches.

Col's fly is tied round the bend, so the shuck is forced under the surface, whilst my version is tied on a standard hook (the Krystalflash shuck/tail sits in the surface film).

It occurs to me that for next season, it would be worth tying up both versions as different options during a hatch and for those more difficult fish.

Thanks Col.
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page