News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Realistic Flies

Started by superscot, December 20, 2006, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quotesurely the last thing you want when fishing dries particularly on still waters is a floating leader?

I suppose my point is that, with the leader coming from the tail end, it could be more readily accepted by the fish as being part of the fly (a shuck or tail).

alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Col,

I really like the look of that USD fly. Another one for the box.
The only thing I don't like is the fattish abdomen. I would probably use flexifloss for this (on an olive pattern), and either foam or nymphskin for the thorax but I'm sure the foam thorax would do fine for bigger flies, say March Brown upwards in size.

Thanks, Alex
Protect the edge.

Highlander

Sorry to be the voive of discontent, but I do not think they are actually that good. I have seen far better
than those protrayed. I sometime wonder what the motive is for doing such a think especially the "non fishing" beasties. Where does fly tying start & end & Arts & Crafts take over. Shades of Blus Peter perhaps
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rabbitangler

'Highlanders comments on Arts and crafts in fly tying  hark me back to the Flydressers Guild who wanted to introduce a formal Qualification for fly dressers, as I was  a fly tier I left forthwith'

I have to ask WHY????

Who are the fly police that say you have to tie flies one way or another?? Some tie for catching fish, some for catching anglers! Some as a means to an end, some as an end in itself, some (particularly shop bought flies) to earn a crust who have never seen a trout far less fished for one.

As for 'qualifications', whats wrong with that?? Would you send your children to a school where the teachers had no qualifications?? Would you trust you life to a drtiver or pilot who wasn't qualified?? I'm sure you've seen plenty of anglers who were taught to cast by 'unqualified' instructors and how many problems result.

Sure there are thosewho use qualifications as an ego massaging thing but it's surely good to know that the person whos offering advice has proved to someone that they are at an accceptable standard and they have put in some time & effort to pass??

I've managed to become 'qualified' in casting/fishing for trout & in fly tying, but it sure as hell doesn't mean I'm a brilliant (or even good) fly tyer/caster but I am willing to put something back into my hobby(passion!) in grateful thanks for all the pleasure its given me.

Peter

Wildfisher

To be honest I am not sure about this qualification stuff when it comes to fishing. It is something I have thought about doing myself but I am still just not sure about it. Yes, if looking for an instructor in anything at all it's useful to know  they are at a certain standard but I keep coming back to thinking  that fishing is something I do to escape from the regimented side of life. That said I would not hesitate to use the services of an instructor if I wanted to brush up on my casting, but I struggle to see the benefits of a fly tying qualification. Where is the demand for qualified fly tiers coming from or am I missing something?

Traditionalist

Over thirty years ago now, I was asked to join the FDG, and also the APGAI. I declined gracefully. I dislike regimentation in any form, apart from which, such things inevitably result in "Structures", these structures cause problems. I don?t even like fishing clubs much, because they always end up being run by "politicians" and not anglers. Politicians are mainly interested in getting other people to do what they want. That is the nature of the beast.

There are basically only two reasons for "Qualifications", one is to make money, and the other is to feed one?s ego. Any sport or pastime which becomes regimented loses as a result of it. "Professionals" are considered "better" than amateurs, purely because they do something for money.

Fishing is freedom, and only a fool limits his own freedom.

Apart from which, I have never yet met a fish which asked for my qualifications...........................

TL
MC

Wildfisher

This getting a bit off-topic I know but as a lad being a member of a  local club that had it's own water I thought clubs were the dogs bollox. Then when I was a bit older I realised that clubs did not all have waters and I wondered what the point  of such a club might be?  Outings and competitions  I suppose,   but these days most folk are mobile to at least some extent and the number of anglers  who approve / participate in competition  angling seems to be falling – from what I hear folk saying anyway and from what I read on forums. My own experience has been that competitions have the ability to bring out the very worst in anglers so there is no way I would ever take part.    So what I wonder is the point of clubs with no waters now? Arranging  bulk discounts or, in an ideal world to present a united front to government? My experience is that most club members seldom agree with each other on much at all, far less agree with other clubs. It's all down to politics of course.

I much prefer loose associations such as we have on these forums. Politics can be expressed and ignored as need be, ideas can be exchanged and a huge amount of knowledge gained, friendships can be made that would never otherwise be possible within the geographical limitations of  a local club, outings and get togethers  can be arranged.

To me this is the modern day world equivalent of the  angling club and we are all free to come and go as we please.

Traditionalist

Yes, I think you are probably right.

It is not as far off topic as one might imagine though. Everybody seems to think that "realistic" or even "super realistic" flies should impress people because they look realistic to humans.  Only very few of these things actually work well on fish.

If people wish to engage in this sort of thing, then fair enough, but it has more to do with model making than with fly-dressing. This is because "people" then decide what is good, and not fish.

You are absolutely right about competitions.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

There are always good and bad points, just as there are always at least two sides to every discussion, sometimes many more.

Also, I will concede that my personal experiences of various competitions has been extremely negative, Although I hasten to add I have never actually taken part in one as a competitor, nor would I, and so that colours my views considerably. One also hears a lot of negative press, from various media, including various postings on other groups.

There are a number of things which I intensely dislike about competitions.  One is the fact that there are always people who are motivated to cheat.  The regimentation imposed, which often makes little sense, but is then often accepted by other anglers, and even hailed as "international standard", or some such equally ridiculous phrase. When these things are held on wild fish waters, the pressure on those waters is massive. I disagree with fishing for stocked fish in any case, on principle, and for a whole range of reasons.

While a temporary economy boost may seem like a good argument to some, it does not seem so to me. Maintaining and conserving good fishing for the continued enjoyment of many, and boosting the economy permanently as a result of that, seems like a much better idea to me.

Lastly, the negative press often associated with these things, colours public opinion too negatively against angling in general.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Certainly to each his own  however  I have personally witnessed some unbelievable  childishness and aggravation in competition   angling. Folk  trying to stretch fish that are slightly undersize,  people falling out, storming off in the huff, fish killed and then binned after the weigh in etc. That's not what fishing is about. Not to me anyway. If it was I would certainly give it up. I noticed a thread on the fly fishing forums the other day about spooning fish. One chap saying he sometimes pumps out  the stomach contents of live fish – usually only at competitions. While I believe  there may be certain short term gains in organising matches I also believe  that in the long term the effects may not be  positive for angling overall. That is certainly one reason why, unlike on some others forums, there is no competition  section here. Not all competitions are bad of course, I was up at Loch Shin with Allan last year, fishing it as an outing  and it all seemed friendly enough. For me the absolute negative is how it seems to drive fisheries to stock with rainbow trout to get onto the money making competition circuit,  even if they already have a good stock of smaller wild fish. Carron being the most recent  example of this, Lintrathen a few years ago.

Go To Front Page