News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

March browns

Started by brian, January 18, 2007, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on January 22, 2007, 11:09:56 PM
That Elk job looks the dogsbollocks never mind dogsbody.

Quite honestly when the fish are "on"  they will take anything that  looks vaguely similar to what they are taking don’t you think? On Sletil a  few years back during a mayfly hatch  John was  taking them on a massive green drake with partridge  wings tied fan style, I was getting them on one of Wyatt's claret DHS and Martin was getting them on something completely different – can't remember what it was. As long as it was big and floated they were not fussed. The Don trout have a  reputation for being hard to catch, they are no harder than anywhere else – it's just they don't rise very freely and sit on the bottom most of the time. When they do rise even I can catch them so they are not that difficult.  :D

haresear

Aye you are right about big dries. Fishing wee loch Awe in a Mayfly hatch I had done OK on Mayflyimitations, thenI shoved one of these on and they murdered it. http://www.flyshop.co.nz/page/F/PROD/umpqua_dozen/d_general_terrestrial

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I'll try this one during the mayfly hatches this year. Same as  the previous  one but body yellow and hackle tied standard and clipped. You can knock flies like this up in next to no time. Scruffy but even the bonniest fly is after a few casts. Bet this would work as a MB too

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on January 22, 2007, 11:29:14 PM
Fishing wee loch Awe in a Mayfly hatch I had done OK on Mayflyimitations, thenI shoved one of these on and they murdered it

Now THAT is some flee!  :freeked

haresear

QuoteCaenis imitation isn't it Alex?

More like a canine imitation Ardbeg :)

I like the mayfly Fred. I must get my arse in gear and tie some up.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Steve,
You are right. Most of us carry far too many flies. I have hundreds and use maybe a dozen patterns max. Carrying too many flies is to my mind just lack of confidence, at least in part anyway. In realty a few in various sizes will cover most of your needs.

Alex,
These are the first flies I have tied since the end of last season (swap flies excepted). Reason? I rarely  tie in winter now because I believe it disconnects the tying from my fishing too much. Certainly not the best time to try new ideas because by the time you get round to trying them the impetus and even the original motivation and idea may be lost. One exception is a few stock flies that I can’t buy like the DHE . All run of the mill flies I just buy (most parachutes, hoppers, daddies, butchers, invictas  etc ) because they are so cheap it's not worth the time, material and effort doing it yourself. If I can buy 10 hoppers and daddies for 3 quid, and butchers etc for even less what's the point?   

I use that Keough cape for most stuff now. Grizzly died dark olive, great long buggers of hackles. These capes are very good value – not for the really tiny flies but cover most normal stuff.

haresear

QuoteAll run of the mill flies I just buy

I must confess to doing the same as you Fred. The only flies I tie these days are the ones I can't buy (my own artistic  :lol:creations) or where (in the case of nymphs) I want to control the amount of weight in the fly.

I have a few good capes, but hadn't heard of the Keough ones. Will check them out.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Looks nice Mike, how difficult is it to tie that "dubbing hackle "

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on January 24, 2007, 06:01:33 PM
Looks nice Mike, how difficult is it to tie that "dubbing hackle "

Dead easy, and it is a lot more robust and "floatable", than any feather hackled fly. ( Cheap as well! :) )

There are several ways of doing it. One may use a dubbing loop, or the "split thread" technique.  Just select a small bunch of hare fur, either from the ear, or body fur. Cut it, and remove the underfur.  Place this in the loop, ( or split thread), and twist. Wind in as normal, using the fingers to "persuade" the hair to go where you want it to.

Also absolutely first class for parachute hackles;
http://www.danica.com/flytier/tzuellich/foam_hare_klink.htm

I use a lot of hair flies. Hare, rabbit, fox, seal etc etc.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page