News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

International fly swap.

Started by Steve, November 13, 2004, 01:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richy

Steve and Marc,

Well done in organising a boaby dazzler of a fly swap.  8)  8)

I think I could use these flies only, for most of the season and have a cracking catch rate.

The Sedge pattern with the olive body is a fish magnet and on a balmy June night would do LOTS of damage.  :twisted:  Who tied that one Steve ??

I could go on and on about the whole lot.

What a day...........20 new flees, Hibs won, and saw Scotland cuff the Italians at Murrayfield    :clap;  :clap;

Well done to all that took part

All the best

Richy

rabbitangler

Hi Al,

Thought I was in with a chance of best improver, but there are a couple of guys who were in the hundreds last time :shock:  :o ! Thenks for the good wishes, we'll see who has the last laugh with the next wo rounds

Peter :D

halfback

Quote from: pocamanThe Sedge pattern with the olive body is a fish magnet and on a balmy June night would do LOTS of damage.  :twisted:  Who tied that one Steve ??

Richy, Halfback tied the sedge, somewhere I have a note from him with how to tie it, will hunt it out and post it here.
pocaman

Better late than never. :wink:
http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=24121

Alastair

Well I've fished all the the flies I got in the international swap over here in Canada, and thought I'd report on their success.

All of the flies attracted the attention of fish over here in BC.  Unfortunately a couple were hit hard by rainbows and broke off (notably the Daddy Longlegs-like pattern which got broken off on the first cast).  There were three patterns which worked particularly well for me.  The pattern with the pheasant tippet tail and the one with the orange and lime wing both worked well for rainbows in the Skagit River when fished just under the surface and downstream (on the swing).  Both took several fish.  I still have the flies but they're looking decidedly worn.

The other pattern which worked well was the one with the bluish hackle and red tail.  I used this one while fishing with my kids at the local pond for Crappies and Pumpkinseed (both are types of sunfish).  I started off tipping it with a tiny bit of worm (my apologies if this is offensive), but eventually I gave the worm bits a miss - It didn't matter, the fish loved it!!!  Both of the kids insisted on having turns with this fly because it was so successful.  It accounted for about 40 fish in about 2 hours before it simply fell apart.  Now I'll have to tie up some reasonable facsimiles.

I was really disappointed about losing the Daddy pattern so quickly.  I thought it would go over really well with the rainbows, and it appears that I was right.  If I had more I could give the pattern a more thorough evaluation under Canadian conditions (Yes, this is a thinly veiled begging attempt!!!).

All in all, the Scottish patterns did the trick over here.

Richy

Alastair,

Its the last day of the season here in Scotland tomorrow (6th)   :cry:  :cry:  and John Doig and I are heading up for a final cast into Loch Ba up on Rannoch Moor.
The Daddy will be first on my cast and would put a fine end to my season to land a few troots on my fly.
Sorry you lost yours so quick,but at least it was to a fish rather than a tree or some heather  :wink:   :wink:
If you send me your address in a PM, I would be delighted to tie you a few for next season.

All the best and Ill away and make up the food for tomorrows trip.

Richy

Alastair

Ardbeg, it was a popular topic.

http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=21871&st=0

I wouldn't call it an arguement, but most definately had their favourites.

Thanks for the offer Richie, but the recipe would suffice (or is it already in the forum somewhere?).  If a trout hits it that hard on the first cast I'd better learn to tie it myself.

Go To Front Page