News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flashing Hare's Ear

Started by scotfly, February 24, 2007, 01:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a pattern of my own I have called the Flashing Hare?s Ear. I say ?my own? with some reservation, there is little new in fly tying and many flys are created by several tyers at the same time. When I first tied this pattern several years ago it was to give me a G.R.H.E pattern with the flash of a Gold Head but not the weight. It has and is a successful pattern for me, on stillwater, but surprisingly not on rivers. Why this should be, I have no idea. You can, if you wish, weight this fly.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK                    ? Kamasan B175 # 12-16
THREAD               - Yellow 8/0
TAIL                        ? Small Tuft of Hare?s Mask
BODY                     ? Hare?s Mask
RIB                           ? Flat Gold
THORAX                 ? Gold Flash Bright
THORAX COVER ? Grey Goose (or any grey feather fibre)

Before tying the fly, a brief explanation of the tail and body material.
The tail and body are both obtained from a Hare?s mask. By using hair from different parts of the mask you can alter how the fly looks. On this fly I have taken the tail and body from the base of the ears, this gives the fly an over all darker shade to it. If you want a lighter fly take the hair from around the cheeks. For variations try removing the hair from different places on the mask.

Below is how I remove the hair for the tail and how I obtain the dubbing for the body.

Firstly, cut a piece hair from the mask.

Then grip it by the tips and use your fingers to scrape out the under fur which you will use for the body.

Transfer the grip to your other hand and you now have your tailing material.

On to tying the fly.

STEP 1
            Attach the thread and wrap down the hook, catching in the tail as you go.

STEP 2
            Tie in the ribbing material.

STEP 3
              Use the under fur you collected from the tail and dub it on the thread.

STEP 4
             Wrap the dubbing to form the body, follow with the rib. Tie off and trim waste.

STEP 5
            Tie in the thorax cover. If you tie it in by the butt end when you fold it over the thorax and tie off you will be left with a slightly smaller head.

STEP 6
              Dub a generous amount of Gold Flash Bright onto the thread.

STEP 7
              Wrap to form the thorax.

STEP 8
            Pull the thorax cover over and tie down. Then whip finish and finally use a Velcro brush to tease out the thorax.

I like to sweep the Flash Bright so that it slightly shrouds the body.

The completed fly.

Go To Front Page