News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Nymerger

Started by scotfly, March 02, 2007, 08:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is the Nymerger, a pattern originated by Darrel Martin. The name comes from ?Nymph-Emerger? and is designed to imitate the emergence drift of small mayflies. That is what the Americans call all members of the ephemeroptera and I think some of the baetidae, unlike in Britain where anglers do not, limiting the name to ephemera danica,ephemera vulgata and ephemera lineata If you tie it without the dubbed thorax, as shown, it will drift just beneath the surface. You can tie it with the appropriate colour thread and CDC to ?match the hatch?
The colour I have chosen here is to represent an Olive. The CDC I have used is the Marc Petitjean dyed CDC.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? TMC 103 BL #19
THREAD ? UTC 70 ? Olive
TAIL, BACK, WING ? Old Yellow CDC
THORAX ? Dubbed Old Yellow CDC

STEP 1
                Mount the hook in the vice and attach the thread at the mid point of the hook.

STEP 2
           Wrap the thread to the bend, catching in a small bunch of CDC barbs as you go. Trim to length, either by tearing or cut with scissors.

STEP 3
             Wrap the thread back to the mid point, catch in a larger bunch of CDC and wrap down to the tail and back to the hook mid point.

STEP 4
              Pull the second bunch of CDC over the back and tie down at the hook mid point as shown.
The back is tied like the Humpy, but don?t pull the CDC tight, leave a small gap between it and the body.

STEP 5
             Wrap the thread to the eye tying the wing down on top of the shank as you go. Take some CDC barbs and pull apart with your fingers to make a CDC dubbing. Loose dub it onto the thread.

Then wrap the dubbed thread back to the body.

STEP 6
             Pull the CDC wing back over the thorax and tie down between the body and thorax with one turn of thread.

STEP 7
             Form a three or four turn whip finish. Then cut or tear the wing to length and give the thorax a rub with Velcro for the finished  fly.

Go To Front Page