News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fur

Started by Wildfisher, March 02, 2007, 08:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Have been tying with hare body fur. Mike Connor is right. Throw away the ears and mask. This stuff does everything that does and a whole lot more. It  is much nicer to work with too.

Want to tie easy DHE's? Chuck away the deer hair and use snowshoe hare foot. Vastly superior and much easier to use than deer hair which I personally find a horrible material to work with. Bob suggests snowshoe for smaller DHE's but I can't see any reason why you could not use it right up to size 12.

haresear

QuoteChuck away the deer hair and use snowshoe hare foot. Vastly superior and much easier to use than deer hair

Telt ye that before. The deer hair is hollow, so flares like a big flared thing :)
The Snowsoe Hare isnae, so doesn't. You can also use both the tips and the butts of the SH.

I use it instead of CDC most of the time. It occasionally works.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

Quote from: crocach on March 02, 2007, 10:02:37 PM
While we are on this topic, does anyone have a mpeg or pictures to show what to do with a hair-stacker because I cannae work it oot.

Throw it away and use your fingers!  :)

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/elkhaircaddis.shtml

http://www.tie1on.net/hairst.htm

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on March 02, 2007, 08:57:47 PM
Have been tying with hare body fur. Mike Connor is right. Throw away the ears and mask. This stuff does everything that does and a whole lot more. It  is much nicer to work with too.

Want to tie easy DHE's? Chuck away the deer hair and use snowshoe hare foot. Vastly superior and much easier to use than deer hair which I personally find a horrible material to work with. Bob suggests snowshoe for smaller DHE's but I can't see any reason why you could not use it right up to size 12.

You can use the hare fur for the wings as well.

TL
MC

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on March 02, 2007, 10:00:10 PM
Telt ye that before.

Aye, I ken but I didnae hae ony snawshoe at the time and I'm slow on the uptake (mainly because Bandy Catcher never shares his bridies with me  :D)

haresear

QuoteYou can use the hare fur for the wings as well.

That's what Bob meant. Snowshoe instead of Deer wings. Bet you didn't know deer could fly.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Traditionalist

Quote from: uncleboo on March 02, 2007, 11:33:03 PM
Aye well, can ye spin a muddled heid wi' a hare's fit?

Not quite sure what a hare?s fit is, but you can use body hair to spin a muddler head. Just use th guard hair in a dubbing loop, and pack it well back. Floats all day.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

It dawned on me this morning that a "hare?s fit"  is a "Hare?s foot" ".  Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake there.

TL
MC

The General

Mike

A hare's fit is where he would put his shoosies.   Just like a man's fit if he choosies.

Davie

Wildfisher

Quote from: Traditionalist on March 03, 2007, 11:22:09 AM
It dawned on me this morning that a "hare?s fit"  is a "Hare?s foot" ".

Ach, yer awfy slow min, div ye nae ken the Doric?  :lol:

Go To Front Page