News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Gulper

Started by scotfly, March 05, 2007, 01:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This fly is the Gulper, or rather a variation of the Gulper and it?s is in my top 5 dry flys.
I?m doing this step by steps in 3 parts. In part one I will show the three main methods I use to make parachute posts. In part two I will show  how I have tied the ?outrigger tail? and in part three I will show how I tie the fly.
In part 1 and  2 I have used a large hook and heavy thread/ materials so that you can see better.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

PART 1 

The first  technique is the one I would normally use for wing posts made from feather or hair, but also occasionally from synthetic materials. Although this is not the technique I have used in the Gulper, I thought it would be usefull to show it to you and give an explanation of why I haven?t used this method on this fly.

STEP 1   (This part is common to all three techniques)

Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread and wrap to the point shown.

STEP 2
             Select the material for your wing post, in this case I am using Orange Twinkle. Place it on top of the shank and bind down.

STEP 3
             Lift the wing post upright and place several wraps in front and tight up to it.

This will hold the wing post upright.

STEP 4
              Take several wraps up the post and then back down to complete the post..

I have not used this method on the Gulper because, as you can see it adds quite a lot of bulk on top of the hook, part of which is due to the material selected for the wing post. If  I was using Calf  body or similar this is the method I would use.

PART 1a

This is the technique I would normally use for synthetic materials on larger flys.

STEP 1
              As above

STEP 2
            Fold the selected material round the hook shank.

STEP 3
            Take the thread round the base of the post and work your way up then back down, as in step 4 above.

STEP 4
            When you reach the base again take several figure of eight turns to secure the post in place

I have not used this method either because it produces a noticeable bump under the shank. It is fine on larger flys though.

PART 1b

This is my preferred technique for small flys and synthetic materials and the one I have used on the Gulper.

STEP 1
             As above

STEP 2
             Loop the post material round the thread as shown.

STEP 3
             Pull it down on top of the shank.

STEP 4
             Make a couple of figure of eight  wraps to secure the post in position, then wrap up and back down, followed by another couple of figure of eight wraps to complete the post.

This is my preferred technique for small flys and synthetic materials because it is quick to tie, relatively easy and there is minimal build-up under and either side of the post.

With all three techniques if you wish you can superglue or varnish the wraps on the post to help stiffen them. I used to but don?t anymore.

PART 2

There are several techniques for outrigger tails, but this one I think is the best technique and it is the one I have used on the Gulper.

STEP 1
             After wrapping the thread to the tail dub a small amount of dubbing onto the thread.

STEP 2
            Wrap the dubbed thread on one spot to make a small ball of dubbing. The larger this ball the wider the spread of the tails.

STEP 3
            Mount the tail fibres, in this case two, either side of the shank. You can mount them one at a time or both at once, whichever you prefer. After tying them in wrap the thread tight against the ball of dubbing.

That is it, a quick and simple technique which will give you a good stable outrigger.

If you are tying in three tails simply tie the centre tail in first, then follow the steps above to tie the outriggers in.

PART 3

Ok now for the main event, the Gulper variant. As I have already stated this one?s in my top 5 dry fly lists. Similar to the parachute Adams, but available in more colours.

HOOK            ? TMC100 #20
THREAD       ? Lagarturn xx strong 50 denier (coloured black with a marker pen)
WING POST ? Orange Twinkle (or whatever you fancy)
HACKLE        - Grizzle Cock
TAIL               - 2 Light Dun Microfibetts
BODY            - Super Fine Dry Fly Dub (No2 ? Grey or colour to suit) (or whatever fine dubbing you have)
STEP 1
            Mount the hook in the vice, attach the thread and wrap to the point shown.

STEP 2
            Mount the post as shown in PART 1 (b) and tie in the hackle with the dull side uppermost leaving enough bare stem to wrap up the post later. Continue wrapping the thread to the bend of the hook.

STEP 3
            Dub a small amount of dubbing onto the thread.

STEP 4
            Wrap on one spot as shown in PART 2

STEP 5

Mount the tails as shown in PART 2

STEP 6
              Add some more dubbing to the thread and wrap to the eye of the hook.

STEP 7
             Wrap the dubbed thread back to the wing post, make a figure of eight wrap here to ensure the body immediately under the post is covered, When you have reached this point take the bare thread round the wing post as shown.

STEP 8
             Hold the thread, wing post and hook carefully and turn the hook to the vertical in the vice. Then wrap the thread up the post, trapping the hackle as you go, then back down.

STEP 9
            Wrap the hackle, from the top down the post.

STEP 10
              Trap the hackle tip between the bottom of the hackle and the body as shown with a couple of thread wraps.

STEP 11
               Trim waste then make a whip finish in the gap between hackle and body. When you make the whipfinish insert a dubbing needle loaded with a little varnish in the whip finish loop as you pull it down.

STEP 12
               Trim the wing post to length to complete the fly.

After completion if there are any rogue hackle fibres (there invariably are) pointing down, simply trim them off.
A very effective fly and relatively easy to tie.
Alter the colours to suit whatever insect is hatching.

Go To Front Page