News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Medicine

Started by scotfly, March 10, 2007, 12:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is a fly that needs little introduction to Sea Trout anglers, the Medicine. Originally the body was made with silver paint, but is now more commonly made with modern plastic tinsel. Try to keep the overall profile of the fly slim.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? #6 (anything from a STD #10 to BJ #2)
THREAD ? Red 6/0
BODY ?Silver Tinsel
HACKLE ? Blue Cock
WING ? Teal

STEP 1
Attach the thread at the shoulder and tie in the tinsel at this point.

STEP 2
Wrap the tinsel down the shank and back up to form the body. To improve durability you can wrap it over wet varnish.

STEP 3
Mount the hackle. I have doubled the hackle, but if you don?t want to? don?t

STEP 4
Wrap the hackle in close touching turns, working from the shoulder to the eye (to the right)

STEP 5
Prepare the wing for tying in. Teal, like Mallard is a feather many have trouble working with, but it is not too difficult if you handle it as little as possible. If it does go all pear shaped on you don?t worry too much, just use fly tyers glue to shape it.
This is the way I find best.

First, gently coax the fibres out at right angles to the stem.

Then cut off and carefully fold the two sides inwards to meet in the middle. I?m holding the wing by the tips here.

Then fold the whole thing in half, with the first fold on the inside and you have the wing ready for tying in.

STEP 6
Tie the wing in.

As with all wings check it is properly aligned, if it is cocked to one side the fly will swim incorrectly.

STEP 7
Finally trim the waste, form a neat head, whip finish and varnish for the completed fly.

There is also a version call the Dark Medicine. Simply follow the instructions above, but use Bronze Mallard for the wing instead of Teal.

Go To Front Page