News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

X-Files Pupa

Started by scotfly, March 22, 2007, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

This is my variation on the X-Files Pupa. The original pattern calls for the Mustad Neon 925969GL hook, I don?t have any so have used a bit of imagination.. The body is Luminous sheet which I have used for some time in Buzzer patterns and with more than a little success. I normally use it in the thorax though, this is the first time I?ve used as a body medium. It?s not a pretty fly to look at, the downside of using luminous sheet, which is not user friendly.

Instructions assume right-handed tyers.

HOOK ? Drennan Star Point Barbless #10
THREAD ? Black Roman Moser Power Silk
BODY ? Avro (Firefly) Luminous Sheet
RIB ? Black Flexi Floss
THORAX ? Peacock Herl
HEAD ? Luminous Sheet

STEP 1
            Attach the thread and wrap down and round the bend, catching in the flexi floss as you go.
When you cut the waste flexi floss do it under tension.

This will leave you with no bumps.

STEP 2
             Cut a strip of luminous sheet 1 ? 11/2 mm thick, cut a point in it, the same way you do when tying in tinsel.
Tie in, but be careful, pull the thread tight on this stuff and you will slice through it.

STEP 3
            Wrap the sheet to form the body. Wrap all the way to the eye then tie off and bring the thread back one full, open, turn.  You will find it impossible to get a ?text book? body with this material, but I can live with that if the fish don?t mind.

STEP 4
             Follow with the rib. Tie this off at the point shown.

STEP 5
            Tie in two or three Peacock Herls.

STEP 6
              Twist the herls in to a rope and wrap to form the thorax. Whipfinish and tie off at the thorax for the finished fly.

The finished fly in all its glory. Fish deep or in the gloaming. Charge material in daylight or use a torch.

Go To Front Page