News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cascade (+ Shrimp Style Cascade)

Started by scotfly, April 02, 2007, 10:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Last year just before going home for a weeks fishing I was tying up a few patterns for the Silver Tourists
This one is the Cascade, I?ve tied it in a ?full? style as I am expecting some big water when I get there.
*Didn't get a big water after all, in fact there was no bloody water*

Instructions assume right-handed tyers

HOOK ? Esmond Drury Treble #6
THREAD ? UNI-Thread  Black 6/0
RIB ? Fine Silver Oval
BODY ? ? Flat Silver, ? Black floss
TAIL ? Mixed Red and Yellow Bucktail with 4 strands of Silver Chrystal Hair over
WING ? Black Hair (I?ve used black bear here) with 4 strands Silver Chrystal Hair over
HACKLES ? Yellow and Black

STEP 1
Mount the hook in the vice, catch in the thread and wrap towards the tail catching in the silver rib as you go.

STEP 2
Tie in the tail which consists of mixed amounts of Orange and Yellow Bucktail, here I have given the tail a Yellow bias. You can vary the amounts of each colour to suit your desired effect.

STEP 3
I cut the tail at a taper to help keep bulk down at the shoulder.

STEP 4
Catch in the Chrystal hair, I do this by doubling it round the thread as shown.

STEP 5
After tying down the tail, cut the Silver Tinsel to a point and tie in.

STEP 6
Wrap the thread to the mid point on the hook and follow with tinsel.

STEP 7
After tying off the Tinsel continue wrapping the thread to the shoulder and then tie in the floss for the rear body.

STEP 8
Then wrap the floss to the mid point and back to the shoulder again.

STEP 9
Wrap the rib in evenly spaced turns and tie off.

STEP 10
Tie in the wing. Here I have used Black Bear, but any hair will do. (Squirrel, Arctic Fox, Bucktail etc)

STEP 11
Followed by the Chrystal Hair over-wing, tied in as shown in STEP 4

STEP 12
Double and mount the first hackle, here I have used Yellow hen which will give the fuller and Yellow biased effect I wanted

STEP 13
Wrap the hackle and tie off.

STEP 14
Tie in and wrap the Orange hackle, here I have used Orange Cock. Whipfinish and varnish for the completed fly.

This is one I have tied on a double hook and slimmer for use in smaller water. The difference between the two is I have used Arctic fox on the double and both the hackles are cock.

As you can see you can vary the appearance and effect of your fly by choosing the materials to suit the effect you are after.

On a recent thread on another forum one of the members asked about and gave this dressing for a shrimp style Cascade.

HOOK ? Partridge X2b # 10
THREAD ? UNI -Thread 6/0  Black
TAG ? Flat or Oval silver (I?ve used Oval Silver)
TAIL -  Orange Arctic Fox  (I?ve used Orange and Yellow mixed with 4 strands of Silver Chrystal Hair over)
REAR BODY ? Gold or Silver Mylar (I?ve used flat Silver)
RIBS ? Oval Silver
MID HACKLES ? Yellow under Orange cock
FRONT BODY ? Black Floss or Seals Fur (I?ve used Black Floss
WING ? Black Arctic Fox
CHEEKS ? Jungle Cock
FRONT HACKLES ? Yellow under Orange Cock.

STEP 1
Mount the hook in the vice attach the thread and wrap it to the point shown, catching in the silver oval for the tag as you go.

STEP 2
Wind the tinsel, on the bare shank towards the hook bends.

Then bring the end up between the hook bends, over the top of the wrapped tinsel, tie down and trim off waste.

STEP 3
Reattach the oval tinsel. Tie in the tail and Chrystal hair as shown in the initial post

STEP 4
Tie in and wrap the tinsel body as shown in the initial post, followed by the rib.

STEP 5
Tie in the doubled Yellow followed by the Orange as shown in the initial post. The only differences being that you are tying them in the middle of the hook and they should be smaller than the head hackles.
After tying them in reattach the silver oval rib, wind the thread to the shoulder and attach the floss.

STEP 6
Wind the floss to the middle hackles then back up to the shoulder, tie off and follow with the silver rib.

STEP 7
Mount the wing, I have omitted the Chrystal hair over-wing from this version.

STEP 8
Prepare two jungle cock eyes by carefully striping the waste fibres as you would a normal hackle

STEP 9
Mount the jungle cock, one eye on each side of the wing. I tie them in one at a time, but if you prefer you can tie both in together.

STEP 10
Tie in and wrap the doubled Yellow hackle at the head. The head hackles should be longer than the mid hackles.

STEP 11
Tie in and wrap the Orange hackle. After tying off form a neat head and whip finish for the completed fly.

The completed fly from above showing the position of the jungle cock eyes.

All that is needed now is some water with ?in the mood? silver tourists!

Go To Front Page