News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

All purpose dry flies?

Started by davy_virdee, April 25, 2007, 02:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davy_virdee

I'm beginning to graduate to fishing with dry flies - My casting is such that I'm getting more accurate, however my ability (and wallet!) to "match the hatch" is rather meagre, so can folk reccomend a good set of "all purpose" dry flies to have for most rivers? Is there a dry fly you would never not have in your box?

Thanks

Davy

haresear

Parachute Adams, Parachute Olive, F-fly and anything tiny and black.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Rivers and lochs: olive sparkle dun, black gnat

mainly lochs: amber hopper, natural CDC suspender buzzer

I'd happily fish all year with the above in various sizes but other flies in the box distract me!

Malcolm

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

QuoteShame on you guys. No Klinkhammer????
So to answer your question KLINKHAMMER (all the colours and sizes)

Buzz good point. What size of Klink do you fish on the Clyde on a normal day in summer? I ask because Col and Brian were fishing 10s at the Don last week and getting fish. I was fishing smaller flies, but not Klinks. Don't think I have any larger than a 12.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

I used to fish klinks all the time but found getting them sitting on the water properly a right pain.  So much so that I have all but stopped fishing them.  I thought it was just my tying ability but I have the same problem with shop bought ones.  I now tend to go for a dirty duster type hackle but with a poly yarn post sticking up through the middle of it. 

Anyway back to the question if I simply wanted a few go to dries for the river it would be a Dirty Duster, F-Fly and some wee black things. 

Norm

scotfly

This lot would see me through a season.

Deer Hair Emerger, CDC & Elk, Ollie Edwards CDC Dun, Adams, Cullard.

johnr

favourite dry fly just now for me is the daddylong legs.
also like using klinks but i also find that after a few cast it doent sit right on the water.also no good if the ripple is just a tad to big as it sinks the  klink as the daddy will sit on the surface allday long

burnie

Funny how fashion changes,wickhams fancy was the dry fly I was told never to be without(winged or wingless),still use 'em.

davy_virdee

Thank all! How I just have to learn to cast them properly :-)

.D.

Wright's Royal 12 -16

:cheers;

.D.

Go To Front Page