News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Re: Orkney Blobs !!

Started by brian, May 13, 2007, 10:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Hi Paul, read the article in the otfa website before visiting Sanday  last July., Allthough i didn't land anything that evening, i hooked a big yin on a size 6  long shank Hummungus on the point, not the size of fly i would use anywhere else but it stirred a fish up that night.

cheers, Brian.

haresear

Help ma boab, I would need a microscope to get the nylon through the eye of one of them. :shock:

Big flees. I've had some big fish up to 6lb on really big dries. Not locally, but I will be going down that route from about August on. Watch this space...

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteHow big is really big !!  I have some largish American Stonefly dries aboot size 4 long shanks . They are BIG !! Would you use these only on the big lochs in a BIG wave ?? 

This size :D They are dry flies for use on NZ rivers in deep fast water and also on the lakes. I occasionally try a smaller version on the Clyde. I've had fish boil at the fly but not take. Next time I see a big fish, I'll give one a go.
I have a couple of big fish in mind :D 

Alex
Protect the edge.

just_steven

Hi Paul

Using a Blob in Orkney (on the normal waters 8)) is certainly not something that is a common occurance, but I'm sure that they have been tried. I don't think many people use them purely due to the fact that I've never heard any mention of them apart from in that article. If they worked then it wouldn't be quiet for long!
I can see why they tried such a big fly! The fish in Sanday are notoriously big, and unfortunately to date uncaught by me.  :(
Maybe this year I'll try fishing with something that resembles a tangerine and see what happens!  :lol:

Steve

deergravy

Just been reading Hugo Ross' article in the FF&FT about fly patterns for the far north.
A Cat's Whisker with a black wing, a claret blob and a black and white muddler!

Hopefully I can get away with not using them when I'm up there - a truly horrible looking trio of flies!

Not that I'm a purist, but ... yeeech!

Dave

sandyborthwick

Various really big muddlers of all colours seem to work on some nights the bigger the better - and not just in Orkney. I've had some heart thumping nights at wild lochs (shetland and elswhere) when the big fish switch on to stripped wake forming muddlers the bigger the better. Its just bow wave after bow wave chasing them in - secret is when they are comming to move the fly faster and induce the agressive takes. Hot orange seemed to be the best with also a black and white version working well. Biggest Brown trout I've ever seen hooked and lost on a fly was to a Mouse fly by my mate - it was well into a double I reckon about thirteen pounds and it rose to the fly like a submarine. The fly was enourmous and was only put on and cast for a laugh he was as stunned as me and the fish hence he lost it. The deer hair body on the thing was three inches long and it had a tail - the hook looked ok for big cod fishing to me!

Sandy B.O.

Go To Front Page