News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Elk hair

Started by ten boaber, August 01, 2006, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on July 19, 2007, 10:33:38 PM
So, why distinguish "Elk" ( that'll be American Elk  :wink:) from "all other deer" in flytying circles? :think2
Any thoughts?

Does it have a   tendency to invade other elk's territories and attempt to impose it's overgrazing ways?  :D

haresear

QuoteSo, why distinguish "Elk" ( that'll be American Elk  ) from "all other deer" in flytying circles?

I never really have, just using whatever deer hair is lying around for my Elk hair caddis. I must confess though, that I never realised the two animals are basically the same beast.

QuoteDoes it have a   tendency to invade other elk's territories and attempt to impose it's overgrazing ways?

:lol: :lol: Nice, Fred.

Alex
Protect the edge.

.D.

Quote from: haresear on July 19, 2007, 10:50:02 PM
QuoteSo, why distinguish "Elk" ( that'll be American Elk  ) from "all other deer" in flytying circles?

I never really have, just using whatever deer hair is lying around for my Elk hair caddis. I must confess though, that I never realised the two animals are basically the same beast.

QuoteDoes it have a   tendency to invade other elk's territories and attempt to impose it's overgrazing ways?

:lol: :lol: Nice, Fred.

Alex

:biglaugh;

I'm the same - they're all deer (apart from Antelope: :devil), and I just use what seems best for the job in hand!

I've always been slightly bemused though: " no, you don't use Elk for that - use deer" :?

Cheers,

.D.

.D.

Hmmm..........

No cigar for me  :lol:

So, apparently they're different enough if you look at their DNA. Still not that different though :wink:

Cheers,

.D.

.D.

DNA analysis - like the new victorian "splitters".

I don't really know - the "Caledonian Elk"  :judge; :lol: do interbreed, and produce fertile hybrids with Sika though.

One other thing - why does Red Deer not figure more often in the catalogues of British fly tying houses?

Is it because they're so rare?  :roll:

Cheers,

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on July 20, 2007, 08:34:57 PM
Quote from: .D. on July 20, 2007, 08:12:21 PM
DNA analysis - like the new victorian "splitters".

:lol: :lol:  That'll make me a splitter then. :stir

Cheers

The Mad Scientist

Bloody splitters. You should see what the Victorians did with plants – and fish! At least 57  varieties of brown trout!  :D

.D.

Quote from: Ardbeg on July 20, 2007, 09:21:50 PM
....  And people call us splitters. :lol:

Cheers

Ardbeg

See - you're drawing a split between "people", and "us" (mad scientists ).

You can't help yourselves...... :lol:

.D.

Go To Front Page