News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

American Fly Patterns

Started by Wildfisher, October 14, 2007, 03:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

During the summer up at Kinbrace John and Martin had a lot of success with patterns like The Grey Wulff (sp?) and the Humpy. People say the Adams is a great all-rounder

Do you use any?

haresear

I had a nice sea trout on a royal wulff earlier this season. Humpies work on the Clyde sometimes as well and elk-hair caddis does well for me in fast streamy water.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

My favourite river dry flies are variants of the compara dun (or sparkle dun), they're wonderful imitators of upwinged flies.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

murray1228

Don't fish the dry as much as i'd like, but the Adams has been very effective for me. It has often outfished more realistic imitations.

Cheers,

Murray

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on October 14, 2007, 08:44:52 PM
My favourite river dry flies are variants of the compara dun (or sparkle dun), they're wonderful imitators of upwinged flies.

Malcolm

Have never used the comparadun and I don?t now why. Basically all the Bob Wyatt DHE is, is a comparadun on a bent hook and I use that fly a lot.  :?

Alastair

Comparadun style flies are what I turn to when fish start getting very selective.

As for the McGinty, I know it's supposed to be a good fly for panfish (crappies and pumkinseed etc...) but I don't know anyone who uses it for trout.  It's probably a good fly for perch!!

sandyborthwick

Black and Green Montana(variant) tied with a fluffy Maribou tail. Killer for Brownies in spring when the tadpoles are clouding the margins. Just a touch of green chenile for the thorax and not too long on the Maribou for the tail. Slow figure of eight looks like the most convincing tadpole with some weed.

Sandy B.O.

.D.

Wright's Royal size 12-16: my "lean-to" searching fly.

Otherwise Elk hair Caddis (and derivatives thereof), Humpy, the Usual and occasionally a Woolly Bugger.

Tends to be hairwing dry flies though  :).

.D.

Highlander

The mark of a good fly is that it "travels well" The Adams comes into that category to my mind.
A few others like Comparaduns & the caddis imitive Stimulator all work well for me on occasion.
Tight lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Traditionalist

Most of the American standards will work well when used appropriately. I have used quite a few successfully. Just a matter of taste. Material availability can be a problem with some things, as it is indeed becoming with many traditional materials in the UK and elsewhere.

Don?t really want to raise anybody?s hackles here, but if it were up to me I would ban the massive international trade in UK materials anyway.  After all, there are only so many woodcock, waterhen, snipe, starlings, and various other things.

I have probably annoyed enough people for today!  Time for supper!

TL
MC

Go To Front Page