News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flies Like The DHE An Over Simplification?

Started by Wildfisher, November 15, 2007, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on November 16, 2007, 08:19:43 PM
the DHE is by far the easiest sunk abdomen flee to see from distance.  Even in small sizes it is fairly easy to spot from afar.

Can't agree with that Steve. I see the post of a klink far more easily. Mind you, my eyesight is not the best, but it's still a fair comparison of two flies

Malcolm

Quote from: col on November 16, 2007, 08:38:06 PM
Does anyone use cdc shuttlecocks for brownies?

I do it's very good on some waters. The CDC shuttlecock buzzer was the best fly on Caladail by a mile the last few times I was on it - sizes 16 and 18. Tremendous fly on Loch Dee and  Watten too. Doesn't work as well for me on most wild lochs as flies like the hopper.

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

.D.

Quote from: col on November 16, 2007, 09:12:28 PM
I think it depends on the light /reflection/shadow (trees etc), sometimes i find cdc with its smoke grey wing easier to see in certain lights than a white posted klink and vice versa.
Col

Absolutely so! Sometimes a black posted Klink is surprisingly easy to see.

.D.

Wildfisher

Quote from: .D. on November 16, 2007, 09:19:02 PM
Absolutely so! Sometimes a black posted Klink is surprisingly easy to see.

Agreed. Often  I'll fish with 2 f-flies, one with white cdc, one with really dark grey. I can then be sure to see one of them.

emmmmm....well, sometimes!  :D

haresear

QuoteI've tried incorporating Krystal flash into the wing posts of klinks but it doesn't seem to help me much.

Me too, but I much prefer white "Wing n' Flash" which shows up very well in most lights as it has so many surfaces to reflect the light. http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Synthetics.html

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: wee bri on November 16, 2007, 09:54:31 PM
I dont think the DHE is an oversimplification.
I personally don't think there is such a thing as oversimplification as far as flies go.

Just to be clear: when I say oversimplification what I mean is that it might not be popular  because anglers just like things to be complicated – lot's of choice -  browsing the box at the waterside - it's not a derogatory remark against the DHE.

.D.

Quote from: Ardbeg on November 16, 2007, 12:43:42 AM

As for why they are not more widely used, considering how successful they can be; I think it is down to deer hair and people not wanting to use this material.  I shyed (sp?) away from it for years but Swithun's continual success with the DHE and a DHE in one of Steve's flee swaps had me giving them a bash. 

Cheers

Ardbeg

I'm not sure how well that tallies with the popularity of the Elk Hair Caddis, and its hackle-less derivatives . The CDC & Elk appears to be the  most popular dry about if other internet forums/ fora are anything to go by.

Why is it so popular? "Internet presence"?

( :( not that I'm stalking you or anything, Ardbeg - you just mentioned it first :))

Cheers,

.D.

haresear

QuoteCheers Alex.  Have you tried mixing the colours or is it pretty much as easy to see in all light conditions?

No I haven't tried mixing it up. Until I did the google search for the link I didn't know Wing n' flash came in any other colours, Steve. I've found the white shows up very well.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 16, 2007, 10:06:48 PM
Me too, but I much prefer white "Wing n' Flash" which shows up very well in most lights as it has so many surfaces to reflect the light. http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Synthetics.html

Interesting, do they have a blend for auld 1/2 blind blokes?  :D

haresear

QuoteInteresting, do they have a blend for auld 1/2 blind blokes? 

Well, I can see it :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page