News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flies Like The DHE An Over Simplification?

Started by Wildfisher, November 15, 2007, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.D.

Quote from: Ardbeg on November 16, 2007, 11:03:02 PM
Mmm, I was just beginning to enjoy the experience too .D. :lol:

The Elk Hair caddis and its derivatives can be shop bought can they not?  Or is it just the original EHC that is readily available?  

Also, I think that even a poorly tied EHC will sit the correct way on the water whereby the DHE will not.  Shop bought EHC's that I've had spin around the hook but still catch :shock:

Cheers

Ardbeg

I don't buy flies so I'll have to take your word on that, perhaps more so for the african sweatshop import business. Fred did mention popularity even among tiers though.

Can't, and wouldn't argue with your second point.

Cheers,

.D.

Gander

Quote from: admin on November 16, 2007, 10:12:53 PM
Just to be clear: when I say oversimplification what I mean is that it might not be popular  because anglers just like things to be complicated ? lot's of choice -  browsing the box at the waterside - it's not a derogatory remark against the DHE.

Hard to tell if the DHE is a better fly than the Klink type. There are certainly more anglers using Klinks, but I doubt if that is based on results as opposed to fashion. To me there is no real better or worse in this case, effectiveness wise. They are both great flies that catch lots of fish.

The reason I lean towards using DHE's is that it ticks a few more boxes for me than just effectiveness. The fly is easy to tie. It can be tied to cover numerous hatches. It is bulletproof. It makes sense.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you fish what you have confidence in. My confidence has certainly been built up in the DHE.

I am aiming to tie a few up in smaller sizes for this season coming. Anyone have a preference over what colour of Snowshoe hare to use. Natural? Light dun? Dark Dun?

Go To Front Page