News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Materials you really don’t like using

Started by Wildfisher, November 16, 2007, 11:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

For me deer hair is the worst, horrible stuff to work with, bulky, very messy and ultra uncooperative.  Elk hair seems to tie in better for wings posts etc. By the way the hollow stems that dear hair is supposed to have is a myth – at least according to a FF+FT article from several years ago. This chap actually took sections of  deer hair and examined them  under a microscope (how sad is that?) and it is not hollow at all.

.D.

Deer hair :lol:

It's  the mess .

Especially spinning it.

And I cannot be arsed with epoxy either. Fortunately, I don't really use it much. Unlike deer hair.

Cheers,

.D.

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on November 16, 2007, 11:32:20 PM
For me deer hair is the worst, horrible stuff to work with, bulky, very messy and ultra uncooperative.  Elk hair seems to tie in better for wings posts etc. By the way the hollow stems that dear hair is supposed to have is a myth ? at least according to a FF+FT article from several years ago. This chap actually took sections of  deer hair and examined them  under a microscope (how sad is that?) and it is not hollow at all.

Main problem there is that "deer hair" is a generic term. Usually, various types of hair with highly specific properties are required for many flies.

True about the hair not being "hollow" as well, I have some photos of cross sections somewhere ( Courtesy of some friends at the local university), and it is actually cellular in construction, some of the cells themselves are hollow. More like closed cell foam than hair in some parts. It?s knowing which parts do which that is the problem!

I am still working on some hair info, as it is a very complex and extensive matter, but this may be of help to some;

http://www.mike-connor.homepage.t-online.de/Materials/Mammals/Common/Deer/deer.html

With regard to the original question, the only problems one really has with materials are learning their properties, and how to manipulate them. I can?t really say there are any materials I "don?t like" using. Of course, my wife might not have agreed with this, after finding large piles of clipped deer hair on the carpet, or strewn around the house after the cat had rolled in them! :)

TL
MC

lnelson20

Deer hair,dont particularly like working with this material but couldn't do without my muddlers.1 in 4 usually only fit for the bin after making an arse of it,the muddler,pulls fish from nowhere 8)

Chris.
c.nelson

garryh

golden pheasant toppings frustrate me as they always seem to have a natural twist to them.no matter how many times reposition the feather before securing with thread it is never perfectly aligned like you see in the books  and mags.i realise  it wont make a lot of difference to the fish catching properties of the fly but it would be nice to able to tye a few neat dunkelds

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Traditionalist

Quote from: garryh on November 17, 2007, 12:23:48 PM
golden pheasant toppings frustrate me as they always seem to have a natural twist to them.no matter how many times reposition the feather before securing with thread it is never perfectly aligned like you see in the books  and mags.i realise  it wont make a lot of difference to the fish catching properties of the fly but it would be nice to able to tye a few neat dunkelds

cheers Garry

The standard trick with toppings is to wet them and stick them to glass in the curve required. One or two Salmon fly dressers use a wineglass, ( flat glass works though).  Before tying these things in, it is essential to crease and flatten the stem of the topping, as it will otherwise slip and deform in some manner.  One may also use the same trick of sticking to glass to get the curve for hair and similar substitutes.

TL
MC

garryh

thanks for the tips traditionalist ,as ever the answer is usually forthcoming on this forum

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Traditionalist

Quote from: lnelson20 on November 17, 2007, 11:13:31 AM
Deer hair,dont particularly like working with this material but couldn't do without my muddlers.1 in 4 usually only fit for the bin after making an arse of it,the muddler,pulls fish from nowhere 8)

Chris.

Quite a few people I have had at classes had trouble with this. For most flies requiring "spun" deer hair, including muddlers and the like, they found it easier to use a dubbing loop, than to spin the hair on the hook. This also makes it a lot easier to trim, and there is also less wastage.  There are a number of ways to do this, including using deer hair in a dubbing loop, which is a lot easier with this ( or a similar)  tool;  http://www.feather-craft.com/2007MAster/fcpage.asp?page=73

( Scroll down to:   F-C "TRIPLE-TIP" TURBO DUBBING SPINNER  (2007M-1860)  )

As you only need one hand to operate it, ( you need the other hand to put the hair in the loop! ).

Most of my pupils found this a great deal easier than spinning the hair on the hook itself.

This dubbing loop tool also makes things easier as well;

http://www.nicheflytying.com/NewFiles/dubbing.html

Of course one can do it in other ways, and one can also make the tools oneself.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: uncleboo on November 17, 2007, 04:23:38 PM
Knicker elastic.
Great stuff for nymph/grub bodies, but trying to get the stuff off their erstwhile owner is damned near impossible.
Any tips?

You need to whip finish them, this raises their hackles, and when they try a half hitch, you do a quick snatch, this should enable you to  nick her elastic.

( Works best with pure silk, the translucence is important, as are the closely touching turns. On no account forget to semi palmer).

Really a quite basic hand vice technique. With grubby nymphs the result is pure seduction. Probably due to pheromones in the  fuzzy dubbing under the palmering.

TL
MC

thewaterbouys

I like working with Deer hair or any natural Hair or fur.
    The thing i hate the most is Patridge feathers, i have seen me going through a packet just to find a hackle to finish a tying. :?
I will have to invest in a full skin.

Henry  :)

Go To Front Page