News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

what's youre favourite pattern to tie?

Started by col, November 19, 2007, 10:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Most of the time i find fly tying a task, but a necessary one! But just now it's a labour of love and I'm enjoying preparing the box for next season . The most satisfying pattern to tie of recent has been the parachute Adams . Whats your favourite fly to tie? (not necessarily the most successful fish catcher)
Col

haresear

Anything quick. I don't really enjoy tying, it's just a neccessary chore to me.

The funny thing is, I do quite like tinkering with new ideas, but the job of tying a dozen of any one pattern is one I dread.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Ian_M

When I'm finished a session I have lots of bits & pieces left over.  I like to create someting from this "debris".
My box is full of "unnamed" fish killing creations which seemed a good idea at the time. Must say that not many have ever had a wetting let alone caught a fish. It's fun just the same.
Ian

Traditionalist

I like them all really, always did. Dressing something new from some idea or other is always quite exciting, as the anticipation of the surmises and speculations working well is part of that. Hoping for suitable conditions for a fair trial, planning the presentation.

Many of my standard patterns are old friends somehow.

Even the quite useless patterns can be interesting to dress, even though one knows that one is unlikely to get a fish with them. Some never even get fished, they land in a box somewhere, but one learns something as a result of having dressed them.

The materials have also always fascinated me. It is really satisfying to look up from a session and see a hundred flies sitting there, and my desk in pleasant disarray,  as if no time had passed. Reminds me of the colour plates in books I spent hours perusing, and still occasionally do!  There is something magical about rows of flies, which not long ago were just bits of silk, fur and feather.

Still surprises me sometimes to sit and look at them, and wonder how I came to do it at all.............

Of course, it keeps me off the street as well! :)

TL
MC

lnelson20

Like Alex and Steve i don't particularly like tying,with young ones finding the time is also an issue.I am quite happy to buy my winged wets but like my own palmers,daddies,hoppers and muddlers.Shop bought patterns are often to heavily dressed for my liking.If having to chose a favourite it would have to be the daddie's,especially the foam versions.I only really tie my flies as i need them.

Chris.
c.nelson

garryh

finding fly tying a bit of a chore seems to be a recurring theme here,(i thought it was only me).i must admit i do like tying dunkelds and bumbles(claret and olive).i don't even  use the dunkeld much these days since the demise of leven,but with a trip to caithness at the planning stage hopefully the bumbles will see plenty action next year.

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: buzz on November 20, 2007, 05:56:31 PM
Do i sound a wee but scary? Thats not my intention.

using the words vice AND page 3 in the same post........................ :D

thewaterbouys

I just love tying flies working with any natural materals to create somthing ,and go to catch fish on it just gives you the feeling of acheivment. 
I like to give myself new chalenges corixa just one of them,i also have buzzer imatations that compition anglers would like there hands on. :think2
but the most enjoyable fly has to be the Game Spider it has caught me heeps of fish from ,GameSpider,Hares ear Patridge,Olive,Claret,Hares ear Greenwell.Check them out on the flytying data base,12 to 16. 8)

Henry :)     There will be some new tyings on the data base soon.

Clan Chief

I love tying any palmered flies such as kates, zulus and bumbles. I love when one ties on the collar hackle pulls it back give it a few wraps then the whip finish . Very satisfying.
Just the other day I tried tying some Klinks for the first time. I do all right until I whip finish them and then I end up catching the hackles which is most annoying.  Need to keep practicing.
Also enjoying North Country spiders just now. I really love using soft hackles cant explain but there is something deeply satisfying about stroking soft hackles back and finishing the fly off.

scotfly

I wouldn't say I have a favourite pattern, but I do favour simple ties.... CDC & Elk, DHE, Clyde/Tummel/ Traditional Scottish wets, etc.

Go To Front Page