News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Moser's Balloon Caddis

Started by .D., December 09, 2007, 05:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Well, I just tied up a few of these in sizes 10 to 16. This is a damned easy fly to tie following this SBS - well done to you .D. I hope I'll get plenty of chances to use it. It looks like it is a low maintenance while fishing fly.

Wildfisher

Biggest problem I  had was figuring what kind of foam to buy. I went for Rainy’s Evazote which is about 1/8 " thick. I also bought some of the "crosslink"  stuff above it and it is hellish hard. The  Evazote is the dog's bollox. As I said above this fly is very easy (and quick) to tie using the  SBS and the Evazote foam.

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/161/Sheets.aspx

Lakeland's website is not pleasant to use (in my opinion - it is painfully slow) but their delivery service is excellent

haresear

QuoteI just by a big bit of yellow plastazote block  then cut it to size with a scalpel. I heard of a clever variant recently from a colleague which involved a wee bit iluminous polyyarn tied above the wing. He just charges it up with the torch. Helps for knowing where your fly is in the gloaming.

For luminous materials, the best way of charging them is to carry a battery powered camera flash and keep it in your pocket. Just put the fly in your pocket when you need to charge it and fire the flash. A great idea developed on Lake Taupo for fishing luminous lures for rainbows. They don't get many browns on these though and good old black is favourite for the brownies at night.

Alex 
Protect the edge.

.D.

Quote from: admin on March 01, 2008, 09:42:34 PM
Biggest problem I  had was figuring what kind of foam to buy. I went for Rainy?s Evazote which is about 1/8 " thick. I also bought some of the "crosslink"  stuff above it and it is hellish hard. The  Evazote is the dog's bollox. As I said above this fly is very easy (and quick) to tie using the  SBS and the Evazote foam.

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/161/Sheets.aspx

Lakeland's website is not pleasant to use (in my opinion - it is painfully slow) but their delivery service is excellent

:oops:
Thanks for your kindly comments :)

I find it pretty tricky to get hold of the right foam (for me) too - few of the UK online flytying shops seem to stock more than one type. And they seldom state which type it is: it usually ends up being the harder stuff. I think ( I threw  away the packaging long, long ago.......) most of the stuff I use was marketed as "polycelon" by Moser under the brand name Traun River Products. It's a little thinner than the Rainy's Evazote, but of similar character. So, I think you made the right call - I've got some too - it's what I'm using/ will be using as I run out of each colour in the older stuff.

That website does griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind a little, doesn't it!

.D.

Wildfisher

No need for embarrassment .D.   I can only speak for myself, but all  the SBS on this forum have vastly improved my own fly tying technique. I didn’t know half of these materials even existed,  far less how to use them and seeing how it is done in photos with accompanying text is a far more effective way to learn than by text alone.

Darwin

Great pattern and SBS, one of my favorites.

Go To Front Page