News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Crap Flies

Started by Malcolm, December 17, 2007, 11:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

So we've all got our favourites but there's some flies out there that are totally crap. They might work brilliantly for your buddy but for you they're as much use as tits on a bull. Here's mine:

Pheasant tail nymph
Anything with fluorescent green in it.

Malcolm 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Any fly with Peter or Ross in it  :D

drumgerry

Is it not just "DEE-OL"?  That's how I imagine it anyway but I don't speak welsh funnily enough so I'm probably completely wrong.  As to flies - partridge and orange spider - could never get that to work for me.

Gerry

sandyborthwick

Floating snail, pure Sh*te as far as I'm concerned never even had a fish look at it.

Sandy B.O.

scotfly

Almost anything tied on a metal hook  :oops:
Particularly a Diawl (Dee-owl) Bach and the Karens Nymph!

just_steven

The Alexandria, Teal Blue and Silver, Detached Body Daddy, and Allan's Pink Hedgehog!  8)

Steve

garryh

many years ago word spread about an old guy taking good bags of browns from lilithgow loch on a grouse & green.of course everyone rushed of and bought grouse & greens( this was in the days before tying your own was as popular as now).so with almost everyone fishing the loch using the alledged killer and only the odd trout being caught on it the g&g was dismissed as a crap fly.as i was still at school and didn't have that many flies i continued to use it but it was still a crap fly.one day during the school holidays i was fishing away when an old guy came along and asked how i was doing.not a thing i replied.have you tried a grouse &green asked the man,Ive had one on all day i replied.let me see flees son ,when he looked at them he took his fag out of his mouth and burnt the wing and the tail of the grouse&green and told me to move it to the tail of my cast.to cut a long story short i ended up with six fish all on that fly.looking back i can see he had turned it into a sedge pupa ,as he packed up at the end of the night he shouted keep it tae yersel son.i have to admit i did keep it a secret for a while .BUT THE GROUSE &GREEN IS A CRAP FLY

cheers Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

haresear

Ke-He on lochs and its cousin the Red Tag on rivers for grayling have never done well for me. Mind you, I never use them anymore, so it is hardly surprising.

Alex
Protect the edge.

HUMUNGUS

Diawl Bach & Black Pennel.

Harpo

Quote from: HUMUNGUS on December 19, 2007, 01:19:53 PM
Diawl Bach & Black Pennel.

My Dad fished a lot in the seventies in hill lochs up north and he said he always had a Black Pennel on the bob and it caught most of his Fish.

As for me I can't get to grips with Nymphs in the rivers

Go To Front Page